Possible Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyH

Reaction score
Being very new to this hobby myself I know it is sometimes hard to DWRHHB. What would you guys think of posting a sticky thread that had pictures of "strange" looking fermentation that is actually ok vs actually infected batches. That way when a new brewer (like myself and others) starts to freak out we could just go look at the pictures and be able to tell if things were alright or if there might be a problem with the batch. Sometimes it is hard to describe what what we are seeing in the carboy, but if we could compare against pictures of other brews it might help people relax a bit more.

Just a thought...

Well the problem is (although it is a good suggestion in its own right), is that there are myriads of appearances that the fermenting wort can take. And, you cannot tell by looking at wort if there is an infection in many cases. The only truly apparent ones will be the molds and they look just like mold :fro: . You'll get all sorts of strange things floating in your primary and secondary...that is just how it is. :D. You can't even go by smell because you can have some really odd odors that smell bad but are of no true concern. Taste though, you can often pick up the acid producing infections.

Too bad we don't have taste capabilities over the internet, that would help immensely!

I often wish someone could help me figure out strange tastes (recently anyways)

Be great to sample good beers too :drunk:

Download a sample...

Back