Possible for fermentation to be done in 3 days???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone_fishing

Reaction score
Brewed Austin Homebrew's budget Kolsch on the 2nd. OG was 1.046 with a goal OG of 1.044. Took my FG today (1/5) to check on it and it's already at 1.013 with the goal being 1.011. It's a low Gravity beer and very light. I also went a little crazy practicing doing yeast starters. I did a single 375ml starter with White Labs WLP029. When my 2L flash showed up I doubled it to a 750ml starter with stir plate for 2 days. I have to assume that the yeast just ripped through the wort. Good assumption?

What is my next step? Let it sit for another week and take FG?

Yes, that's fairly typical for a lower OG beer. Mine normally ferment out in 3-5 days, even if the OG is higher.

The only concern I've had with fast fermentations, especially in the summer, is that if it is going so fast, it could be too warm. If the fermentation temperature was fine, it will be perfectly fine.

Let it sit and clear a bit- that yeast isn't particularly flocculant and it may stay cloudy for a while. You can try cold crashing it in about 10 days, to help it clear before bottling it.

Thanks Yooper...it's very, very light in color and taste. I'll let it sit and hang out for a little before kegging.

Thanks Yooper...it's very, very light in color and taste. I'll let it sit and hang out for a little before kegging.

And after you keg it, I'd try to keep it cold (no "sampling!") for about 3 weeks while it carbs up. Cold conditioning does great things with that yeast strain, and I think you'll love the results.

Ok, another great tip. I currently have a 2 tap kegerator. Have a deal to pick up another CO2 tank and regulator so I can carb up a 3rd keg and not rush things.

Back