Porter yeast to dough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freefallfan

Reaction score
I saved my yeast from a robust porter primary. My girlfriend started it as thou she would her sourdough. Not sour not bitter just plain good bread. I'm doing this every time from now on, except for my stacker ipa's.

image-3458968514.jpg

There is a type of bread leavened with ale yeast called Barm Bread. It was the traditional method of making bread in the UK until shortly after WWII. I've made two batches of it so far, first one turned out a bit dense but tasty and the second one was perfect. Light and airy with some very nice beer flavor. I wrote a few posts on it in my blog.

Way to go. Fun isn't it?
I've literally scraped dried crusted yeast off my carboy that blew out through the airlock and made bread with it. Just one of the many beer / food symbioses.

And that bread looks mighty tasty. So good I had to come back and post about it. You should serve it with the porter.

A girlfriend that will make you bread from your beer yeast? -sounds like a keeper.

She is a keeper. I made the porter from extract so could I use steeped grain? The bread was good. I cant wait to get my hands on my nit brown yeast

Yeah, actually the specialty grains make for more flavorful beer. Base grains often aren't as interesting.

How long did it take for the ale yeast to raise the dough? I never tried using ale yeast since I assume they take longer than the bread yeast (days vs. hours).

This took three days. She used a sourdough method that required 24 hours between feelings. I'll have to try a quick loaf to see. We saved the dough starter so we are going to try another loaf this week. I'll keep you posted.

Back