Porter split batch - Coffee in half?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkinThailand

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a clone of Brewdog Libertine Porter and I will be splitting it into 2 fermenters. In one I will dry hop per the original recipe, and I am not sure what to do in the other. I had the idea to do coffee, anyone with more experience have any input based on the recipe if they think that will taste good or not? also if i do add coffee, should I still dry hop? and if not coffee, than what?

here is the recipe
57% extra pale pilsner
14% carahell
7% crystal 60L
7% Chocolate malt
7% roasted barley
4% flaked oats
4% wheat malt
0.5% smoked malt (i may substitute brown malt for this since i already have it and its such a small amount)

Hops
columbus 60 min.
columbus 0 min
Willamette 0 min
galena 0 min
columbus dry hop
galena dry hop
simcoe dry hop

what do you think? thanks for any advice/ideas

Quick one: 0.5% Brown malt won't have much of any impact. Maybe replace the smoked malt and a bit of the Carahell for Brown malt? 4% Brown would probably add just that tad of deep malty goodness.

Split batch: I'd be tempted to add to one batch 1/2lb (for 5 gallons equivalent) of demerara sugar and pitch some Brettanomyces. Might bring it up to 7-7.5% abv and with a nice tang. Nothing sour, though. Might even go nicely with some lightly roasted, acidic and floral Ethiopian coffee!

Thanks for the advice JKaranka. I will up the brown malt as you suggest.

Quick one: 0.5% Brown malt won't have much of any impact. Maybe replace the smoked malt and a bit of the Carahell for Brown malt? 4% Brown would probably add just that tad of deep malty goodness.

Split batch: I'd be tempted to add to one batch 1/2lb (for 5 gallons equivalent) of demerara sugar and pitch some Brettanomyces. Might bring it up to 7-7.5% abv and with a nice tang. Nothing sour, though. Might even go nicely with some lightly roasted, acidic and floral Ethiopian coffee!

If I want to do the sugar/brett, a couple questions:
1) do i still dry hop that batch?
2) when do I add the sugar and brett? (i bottle so you know).
3) which type of brett? i just saw that white labs has 2 kinds

thanks again

Add them when you pitch the yeast in one batch. The Brett takes at least two months to show up so bottling is perfect (although you have to allow the batch to ferment to avoid bottle bombs). Type of Brett is up to taste: Brett C is the classic British one and it is very mild (you won't notice much apart from attenuation six months in). Some of the other ones are much funkier. As you have to wait for it to age the dry hopping becomes more optional.

so i would have to leave that batch in the fermenter for 2 months? any way to bottle it sooner (like calculate how many gravity points left and then minus priming sugar?)

Back