Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
Hey so I was searching for a good porter recipe on recipator.com and I came across this one, it intrigued me with all the grains and adjuncts, just wanted to know if you guys think I if this sounds good as a first attempt at a porter. The guy makes it sound delicious. Anyway here is the link. Look forward to some input.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?group=12&item=5565

Joe

If you are just looking at making a good porter, there are easier ways with just a few different malts to do so. If the use of all the different ingredients are more of the appeal I would suggest a more conservative approach. I might look at trying something like this:

4# Amber DME
1/3# Choc Malt
1/3# Crystal 120
2oz Black Pat
4oz Brown Sugar
8oz Honey
1-2tbl Cocoa Powder
Hazlenuts? You are on your own, have no experience with them.

1.046 O.G.

To start with I dropped the gravity because I find it easier to formulate a busy recipe allowing each ingredient to be detected at low levels. If something is out of balance I can keep it minimal. I subbed the chocolate bar with a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder. If you have never used or read about using chocolate it leaves an oil slick and solids floating around. Cocoa powder will provide the flavor without the mess.

FYI: I'd be wary of recipes on any site that allows the public to submit recipes. I've seen some nasty stuff on the recipator, and even made a few terrible tasting batches with recipes I didn't have the wherewithall to really anaylyze prior to brewing it.

For a first porter attempt (or a first attempt at ANY style) I would suggest using a simple recipe with no crazy fruit, nut, spice additions. Get the base recipe under control, then start tinkering with it.

my $0.02.

-walker

I know others do it, but I don't want hazelnuts in my porter. It should be complex anyway and nuts are nuts (crazy).

Just my opinion.

Back