Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawlow05

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm working on a porter recipe, and here is what I came up with, If anybody has any questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, reactions and/or feelings, feel free to post them. Thanks

Porter (Pending Recipe)

6 lb light DME
.25 Amer. Black Patent
.5 Amer Chocolate
.5 Amer Wheat

1 oz Willamette 60 min
.5 oz East Kend Goldings 60 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings 5 min
1 oz Willamette DH

Yeast ?

Irish Moss

Personally I would use Target as my bittering hop (but only because it is a traditional UK hop variety) and I would limit my hop additions to a 60/30/15 schedule at the most (60/15) would be just fine too.

Also, I don't know that would use wheat in a porter, but that is just me, and I'm not too sure about the black patent; maybe someone with more experience than I could speak more intelligently on that.

I'm no porter expert, but two things pop out: 1) Consider substituting crystal 40 for the wheat. I've never seen wheat in a porter recipe before. 2) The hop additions at 5 minutes and dry hopping seem like a lot to me.

I've heard that extract made from Maris Otter is available now. That might be a good alternative to plain DME.

EDIT: FWIW...here is an AG recipe for a robust porter that seems about right to me:

72% Maris Otter
10% Light Munich
10% Crystal 40
3% Black Patent
5% Chocolate

0.75oz EKG 60 min
0.75oz EKG 5 min

SafAle US-56
Ferment around 67 deg.

OG 1.062 – 1.065

68.1 8.00 lbs. Extra Pale LME America 1.049 2
8.5 1.00 lbs. Munich LME Germany 1.006 10
12.8 1.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.006 40
4.3 0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.002 525
6.4 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.003 350

Exract represented as SG.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.65 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.40 33.9 60 min
0.75 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.40 0.0 0 min

This is Jamil's Robust Porter recipe. If you're hankering for Robust, this is the recipe for you. I've made the extract version, and it's AWESOME.

I made the AG version this weekend and it looks and tastes like it's going to be as good as the original.

I agree, no wheat, however I may upset the apple cart with oats. yes I use .5 lbs in my all grain for head retention and mouth feel. Other than that the crystal 40 and black with some chocolate and US56 ale yeast sounds good to me.
I have a similar all grain recipe that just recently won out over 53 other beers as an overall winner.

Back