Porter in primary for 3.5 Months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cletus1

Reaction score
I left a porter in primary for about 3.5 months due to sheer laziness. It didn't smell or taste too funky, though the top looked pretty nasty.

I transferred to a secondary tonight. So, question is should I leave for another month or so in the secondary to help de-nastify.

In case there are some off flavours, would it help to add some vanilla beans or something else that could mask the flavours?

Cheerio and word to yo mother!

It's not likely that letting it sit in a secondary will alleviate any nastiness. What's there is there. If it hasn't funkified the worst you will likely get it oxidation and yeast autolysis flavors. I'd give it a taste and if it is good enough then package it up and drink it. If it doesn't, abandon ship, dump it and move on to the next batch.

3.5 months due to laziness? Seriously? You should drink it even if it tastes like dookie as punishment! I would put a bunch of charred oak chips in the secondary with it for sure. You could always float a touch of bourbon on top of each glass too. Hell, I would drink it.

Back