Porter help needed--water profile and mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My son is coming home tonite and we're going to do a brew day tomorrow. He's the guy that got me into brewing, and we've never done a brew day together. We're going to brew a Porter to which I'll add some vanilla extract after fermentation is complete.

We're going to try Biermuncher's recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24243

I have all the ingredients, but what I do not have is a clear idea how to create a good water profile for this. I've looked through Brunwater, and I can't be sure I'm doing it correctly.

I have 13 gallons of RO water ready to do this, and what I need is to know how to amend that water to a proper Porter water profile. What do I need to add to RO to do this? I have all kinds of minerals and such to do that, from Calcium Chloride and Epsom Salts to Pickling lime and Lactic Acid and gypsum.

I also am a little confused by the mashing temp instructions. I understand the desire to mash at a high temp to bring out the malty character, but the sparge water seems very hot to me. I thought that it was important to keep sparge water under 170 in order to avoid the extraction of tannins.

So--I have a starter going with Wyeast 1028, and we're hoping to do this tomorrow. Given the recipe above, what do I do for water, and could someone explain the mash temps?

FWIW, I have all four books, Water, Malt, Hops, and Yeast, and I've read them. I also have Beersmith, which I figured on to help me figure this out, BUT I have a new computer and no CD drive and no way to load Beersmith on the new computer. I'd appreciate greatly any help.

My son and I were talking, and given that Biermuncher's recipe only has 1 ounce of Fuggle hops, 1/2 at 60 minutes, and 1/2 at 2 minutes, there's almost no bittering.

The sparge water is listed at 206 degrees, which almost certainly should pull out some tannins. My son's question/theory is whether that is substituting for the very tiny amount of bittering hops.

I also can't figure out how the water, at 6.5 gallons for an all-grain brew, is going to result in 5.5 gallons.

On a strange note, the Wyeast pack I used for the starter did not puff up after 3.5 hours. I ran it into the starter wort anyway, but I'm not sure I have viable yeast. Might have to switch to S-05 or S-04.

Latest posts

Back