Portable burner/stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish4666

Reaction score
Ok I can't really brew up in the kitchen cause people complain about the smell, and ***** about me taking up the whole kitchen. Now I have the perfect place to brew in the basement. I have a darkroom that plenty big and have plumbing. The only problem is the lack of stove. I am looking for a portable solution? Anyone have a solution they've used? I was looking at portable burners and saw them at 1000 watts. Is that enough to boil water at a high temp? I also saw one that uses butane.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=best+portable+burner&cid=12204226352552464217&sa=title#p

Any thoughts/suggestions?

-R

My only advice is to please don't kill yourself. Your description of a small dark room in the basement just makes me concerned that you have sufficient ventilation and don't use something like propane, which would definitely end your life. Please pardon me if this is too obvious and patronizing - I'm currently in parent-mode and am busy dispensing obvious and somewhat annoying advice.

Aside from the above advice, I don't know that the burner would withstand the weight of the water plus the pot. Have you considered a turkey fryer? It's what most of us use and it works reasonably well. Boiling wort hurts when it sticks to your hand, ask me how I know. :D

would a turkey fryer be safe inside? i don't wan to have to resort to running a gas line. I mean my father can do it, but its an absolute last resort as the gas line is on the other side of the house and thats a lot of work! haha.

Maybe something that runs off a 220v line?

-R

Considering alot of guys with electric HERMs run 2500 watts or more I dont think 1000 is anywhere near enough. I could be wrong.

You need a lot of ventilation to use a gas burner inside for both the toxic fumes from the burner and the vapor boiled off from the kettle. Buck up, put on a jacket and do your boil outside.

Back