Port wine stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePote

Reaction score
It is midnight and I am sitting here bored, sipping on a glass of port wine. My wife is at a bachelorette party and getting home later than expected. I only put five beers in the fridge and they are all gone, which is why I am drinking wine. But honestly, Its really good. Porto Kopke from Portugal is what it is.

Which brings me to my quandary. Has anybody ever made a port wine stout or something along these lines? DFH World Wide Stout has a port wine ish flavor and although I didn't think it was worth the money I really enjoyed it. Has anybody made anything along these lines or have any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike

It is midnight and I am sitting here bored, sipping on a glass of port wine. My wife is at a bachelorette party and getting home later than expected. I only put five beers in the fridge and they are all gone, which is why I am drinking wine. But honestly, Its really good. Porto Kopke from Portugal is what it is.

Which brings me to my quandary. Has anybody ever made a port wine stout or something along these lines? DFH World Wide Stout has a port wine ish flavor and although I didn't think it was worth the money I really enjoyed it. Has anybody made anything along these lines or have any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike

FFF made a port barrel aged Dark Lord Variant and Portsmouth's Kate the Great is aged on port oak as well. Here's a clone recipe for Kate: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/04/portsmouth-kate-great-clone-recipe.html?m=1

I have made an imperial stout aged with port and french oak. It worked really well, but you have to be very careful adding the port, because it is so intense. I used 250ml in a 5 gallon batch and it was too much. It took a long time to fade into the background, but once it did it was an amazing beer.

Next time I'd probably start with about 100ml, and then decided at bottling if it needed a little more.

Back