Poor attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robholly

Reaction score
I brewed a imperial stout last November and tapped the keg last week.The stout is sweet and thick as syrup.I had a local professional brewer taste it and he said I must have had poor attention. My question here is can I referment the beer after one year of storage and carbonation.Or should I just pickle or brine some hot peppers in bourbon and add them to try to balance out the residual sweetness.Any helpful feedback would be greaty appreciated. 10 gallons recipe.

What is the SG of your beer? Take a sample, let it go flat and rise to the calibration temperature of your hydrometer, before checking the SG.

Can't remember og gravity it was brewed last Nov. I would have to look back over my notes I do remember I pitched 4 packs of us-05 that were on a starter on a stir plate for 48 hrs. Prior to pitching.

If that 1.010 FG measurement is accurate, I think that's way better than you could've hoped for. You'll not be able to coax it down any lower than that.

And you shouldn't make yeast starters from dry yeast. Just rehydrate and pitch.

Where did the tasted beer come from? How about the gravity sample? Were they pulled from the same level of the keg? Any chance there was some stratification over the course of a year, and there are levels with different gravities?

I still bottle and the mechanics of kegging are a little fuzzy, so forgive me if that's a dumb idea and/or not possible with the liquid under pressure.

But something definitely seems off, as kombat noted. What was your recipe and process? Oh, and in case it wasn't addressed, you used a calibrated hydrometer for the gravity reading, correct?

Tasted beer came from kegerator.I sampled both kegs with little taste difference I only checked the gravity of one keg.The recipe was all grain hour and 20 min mash recirculate 20 min then fly sparge and 1 hour boil.yes it was calibtated.

I poured the sample yesterday at 4:30 pm I took 3 readings this morning at 7:00 am refractomter read 1.055 hydrometer read 1.010 and I couldn't get a reading with my finish hydrometer...........it was below the sclae on that.

How did you take your fg reading? Refractometer or hydrometer. It does seem like a low fg.

Latest posts

Back