Poor attenuation with WLP007?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I've got a batch of wheat pale ale that i fermented with WLP007. Grainbill is simple about 50% 2-row, 45% wheat, 5% aromatic. Mashed at 154. SG was 1.054.

I had really fresh WLP007 yeast and made a 1L starter with stirplate. Gave it 48+ hours on the stirplate, then cold crashed and decanted 24hrs prior to pitching. Started the wort at 62 and held there for 3 days. Airlock activity within 12 hrs and it started slowing by day 3. Warmed up to 64 for a day then checked gravity (4 days in). Gravity was at 1.021. WTF!

I heard this fermented fast and dropped out. Sample was still really hazy, so i warmed it up to 68 for another 3 days. Pulled at sample today (1 full week in) and gravity is at 1.018. This is a simple grain bill, mashed at a normal temp, health starter, but attenuation at this point is only 64%.

What's going on here? I read prior to making this that the yeast still works well on the lower end of the 60s, but that's the only thing i can think that caused poor fermentation. I realize it's still only a week in, but it should be pretty much finished at this point. I really don't expect it to drop another 5-6 points to get this where i wanted.

007 usually attenuates very well. But, it's designed to be fermented in the mid to high 60s. I've always used that yeast around 68ish. I'd start out there. Warm it up, and give it a gentle swirl. Even if the yeast will ferment at 62F, it's going to take longer for the yeast to do their job. 4 days isn't nearly enough.

You're only 4 days in? Its not done yet. Just Leave it alone, and check the gravity in 1 week.

it's going to take longer for the yeast to do their job. 4 days isn't nearly enough.

You're only 4 days in? Its not done yet. Just Leave it alone, and check the gravity in 1 week.

i warmed it up to 68 for another 3 days. Pulled at sample today (1 full week in) and gravity is at 1.018.

It's been a full week, not 4 days. And temps were warmed to mid-high 60's after three days- it's been at 68 for a total of 4 days now.

Gotcha. Still, leave it on the cake for another week. You could always gently rouse the yeast back into suspension.

Yes 007 can stall out if you ferment it too cool, It flocculates really well, so It might be all at the bottom sleeping. I've gone as low as 64 with 007, but 62 might have been a little too cold. I'd let it sit at 68 for a few more days, and see if it finishes it off before doing any thing to it.

Thanks for the replies. I planned to secondary and dryhop it anyway, so i decided to go ahead and transfer it over. The cake was really compact already at the bottom of the bucket, so hopefully transferring it will rouse everything up enough to get it down a few more points. I purposefully sucked up a little of the cake to help it along.

What ever happened after you racked it?

I have just a had a very similar problem with 007. Made a 2L starter, cold crashed, pitched into an aerated amber ale wort with an OG of 1.067. Mash temp = 153F, fermentation temp = 66F.

Started fast and went nuts for 3 days, the stopped dead at 1.020. I roused the yeast and warmed it up to 75F. After 5 more days, the gravity was 1.019.

I don't get it...I did everything right, everything went well, yet this supposedly attenuative yeast crapped out too early. What gives?

What ever happened after you racked it?

I have just a had a very similar problem with 007. Made a 2L starter, cold crashed, pitched into an aerated amber ale wort with an OG of 1.067. Mash temp = 153F, fermentation temp = 66F.

Started fast and went nuts for 3 days, the stopped dead at 1.020. I roused the yeast and warmed it up to 75F. After 5 more days, the gravity was 1.019.

I don't get it...I did everything right, everything went well, yet this supposedly attenuative yeast crapped out too early. What gives?

Unfortunately, not sh*t. Gravity didn't budge from 1.018. I made a double IPA a few days ago with an OG around 1.075 using washed 007 yeast from the first batch. It's currently fermenting along pretty well at 66 degrees (wort temp). I report back on its attenuation. I'm hoping the first batch was just a fluke. On the bright side, even at 1.018 it takes pretty good and is super clear even without cold crashing.

i just did an IPA with 007, it's become my house yeast. i control the temp (68) and then take it out of the chamber for 10 days or so. my apartment is very warm. took my beer from 1.054 to 1.008 in two weeks. i think it's really important to not let it get cold early on. right at that 72 hour mark, pull it out and let it get nice and warm, it's done the trick for me, at least. flocs like a champ too so it's easy to get clear beer with it.

what was the grain bill? Does it taste sweet?

Approximately:

79% Maris Otter
8% Munich
6% Crystal 40L
3% Crystal 120L
3% Victory
1% Pale Chocolate (200L)

It does taste sweeter and more full bodied than the last time I brewed it, which was with S-05. That beer finished at 1.013.

Just out of curiosity, did this beer clear out. I use 007 a lot and have never had a problem with it not clearing out after a quick cold crashing. But with my last batch with 007, an english IPA, started at 1.060 finished at 1.014, a little higher than expected, but what is bugging me is it has a lot of yeast still in suspension.

Do you know the lot # you used for you batch.

Latest posts

Back