Pond Pump: Possible use for carboy/keg cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have available to me a Little Giant 6-CIM-R pump. This pump has once been used in a chicken house farming application feeding the fogging system. It has set outside for i'm guessing a number of years exposed to the weather, however when plugged in it still works flawlessly.

I was hoping to get some opinions if you guys think this pump could be dismantled and stripped of the old flaking paint, perhaps even sandblasted and then re-coated with a thick layer of something like Rustolium.

The main body appears to be cast-iron and this worries be with the use of Oxyclean. I have no idea what the inside components look like or is made of.

I have some other applications around the house I can use it for, but was hoping to DYI a carboy CIP cleaner. The pump goes at 45 GPM and has head of 18'. She will sling some water and I can't imagine how fast it would clean some kegs and carboys. Did I mention free? I have access to about 8 of these, although the rest are still partially submerged in water barrels underground. I don't image any of these being used in the last 10-14 years or so.

i-T5XMH3H-L.jpg

i-WfxNLMs-L.jpg

i-PkGKhhq-L.jpg

Would you even attempt it? My gut say's no, but my wallet say's get on it. lol

Too much rust on that bugger...it will transfer to your kegs...I have use poly pumps before and they work and last fine...best method would be to taking your brewing pump (like chugger) and simply connect it to your boil kettle as a cleaning tank...we actually use this in our pro brewery as a keg cleaning station.

Back