Pomegranate yield from whole fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I waited a whole year for the pomegranate harvest, and I finally came across them a week or so ago, at Sams club. Very nice and very large fruits. Pretty good price too. A four pack for $8, or $2 a piece. Costco has them in a 6 pack for $12.99.

So I am going to make a pomegranate wine, but I wanted to test the yield of juice from whole fruits, and compare that to the POM juice at Costco.

I checked the bottle of POM juice at Costco. It was 60 ounces for $8.99, and it has no preservatives. It is flash pasteurized.

Here is what I have come up with......

My yield varied. The first six gave me 4# 15 oz. of seeds. The next six was exactly the same. Very strange. The third six gave me 4# 12 oz. This is also what I got from the fourth set of six . These were all from Sams.

6 whole pomegranates from Costco only gave me 4# 9 oz. of seeds.

So I got another four pack and decided to round up all my weights to an even 5 pounds in each bag.

I juiced one 5 pound bag of seeds in my food mill, and got just a bit over 1.5 liters of juice, or about 50 ounces, after filtering out a majority of the sediment.

So the bottom line is, it is cheaper to just buy the POM juice (60 oz. for $8.99 = $0.149 per ounce)

Whole pomegranates, seeded and juiced - 7 fruits yielded 50 ounces of juice. (50 oz. for $14.00 = $0.28 per ounce)

This was a useful experiment, in my mind. Now I know it is cheaper to just buy the POM juice and use it for what ever, and I don't have to worry about the preservatives either. Plus there is the amount of time to peel the pomegranates and juice them too. That is where the savings really comes in.

I wanted to pass my results to everyone. :rockin:

I might try the blender method to juice them, but their yield seemed really low. I was getting almost a full 8 ounces of juice from one pomegranate. So out of 6 pomegranates, I got 1.5 liters or about 50+ ounces of juice.

Here is the food mill I have.

food-mill.jpg

Bombo80 said:
I might try the blender method to juice them, but their yield seemed really low. I was getting almost a full 8 ounces of juice from one pomegranate. So out of 6 pomegranates, I got 1.5 liters or about 50+ ounces of juice.

Here is the food mill I have.

It could be the pomegranates referenced in the link are small...they do come in many cultivars and sizes.

I was doing some math on juicing pomegranates vs buying pom juice or the rw Knudsen and the juice comes out cheaper however there is something to be said about anything thats fresh!!

Nwa-brewing said:
I was doing some math on juicing pomegranates vs buying pom juice or the rw Knudsen and the juice comes out cheaper however there is something to be said about anything thats fresh!!

You could always do a blend, commercial juice plus fresh and get the best of both worlds.

saramc said:
You could always do a blend, commercial juice plus fresh and get the best of both worlds.

Probably will down the road hoping i get a steam juicer for my birthday.. Been dropping some not so subtle hints :)

Bombo, you poor thing. My first pom/blueberry wine was made from Northland juice. It was very good. Then my mom offered up her fresh poms and 6 quarts of fresh, frozen blueberries. Oh my, the taste is phenomenally better. (I have been taste testing, when racking! :D ) I, too, then waited for the poms to come in. Holy guacamole batman, they jacked up the price, sky high, and I so wanted to make another batch to get me through the winter. Any way, I just scooped out those fresh poms with a grapefruit spoon, right into the primary, and added the blueberries. That was in August. I am getting ready to bottle it. It probably won't clear all the way, but it doesn't matter, because it tastes so darn good. I also had the forsight to add 3 more pom trees to the two I already have, which were only $10 because it was at the end of the planting season! I do seem to recall that at the end of the holiday season, poms were on sale for 99 cents, so keep your eyes open, it is worth it!

Latest posts

Back