Polyclar use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challey

Reaction score
No sure if this is the right forum for these questions but if not, hopefully a moderator will move.

I have two batches of English Mild Ale that were fermented with WPL022 (Essex Ale), a strain I have not previously used. Both were done in a primary, and left behind a pretty substantial yeast cake when they were racked off to secondary at about 7 days. In the secondary (two weeks and one week respectively for batch 1 and 2), fairly significant amounts of yeast continue to precipitate out, though with little fermentation going on (gravity for both is about 1.006). In spite of the precipitation, the beer remains fairly hazy.

I’ve been considering using Polyclar to help clarify but wanted to first ask some opinions on both the haze issue and using clarifiers. It may be the case that WPL022 just takes time to clear – hopefully someone who’s familiar with it can help there (could not find anything on this site about it). I’ve never used Polyclar before and would like to hear some thoughts from those who do about using it in this case. One specific question is with respect to using Polyclar in a secondary that already has a pretty substantial yeast precipitate (perhaps 1/8” on the bottom of the carboy along with some along the glass irregularities on the sides). Rack to a tertiary before using?

Are you able to cold crash the beer? Often times cold crashing alone will clear a beer right up.

Most finings like gelatin and polyclar work better when the beer is cold. I have never used polyclar before but I have used gelatin. When I use gelatin I cold crash the beer then add the gelatin and keep the beer in the fridge for another few days and it is crystal clear. I think it is a similar process with polyclar.

First, even for an English Mild, I would leave the beer in primary for at least 10 days. No need to rush it.

But since that can't be helped now, I would use a liquid Isinglass preparation to settle out the yeast. Gelatin is another alternative, but slightly less effective and more annoying to use. With a little more patience, chilling the beer over a few days to lagering temperature should also get the job done.

Polyclar is usually used to remove polyphenols, and it technically requires filtering, or at least and additional transfer. I wouldn't use it for your issue.

Back