Polycarbonate and boil temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VVbrewery

Reaction score
I have a pot I want to convert to an electric boil kettle that has a polycarbonate sight glass. I've read that the max temp for PC is 250 degrees but I was wondering if anyone else had any problems with a similar setup.

No, since boiling is below 250. You will never see 250 unless your garage catches fire.

I've had a polycarbonate sight tube on my BK for years. It looks like new.

For what it's worth... I have gone through 3 polycarbonate sight glasses on my electric rig. 1 made by myself, and 2 of Bobby's. Though they can take the heat, the repeated use in the brewing process continuously resulted in each of my three sight glasses forming stress fractures. The first one failed entirely while cleaning it (only a few gallons of warm water on the floor). The next two got pitched IMMEDIATELY when the cracks showed up for fear of 13 gallons of boiling wort geysering out of the kettle (yeah, put your thumb over it, I dare you! lol). So now I have one of those borosilicate glass ones with the aluminum shroud. http://www.homebrewing.org/16-Glass-Sight-Gauge_p_1825.html
Your results may vary, but I recommend being wary (rhyme time) of polycarbonate

Latest posts

Back