PNW greenthumbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
so, i'm in kirkland as of this week (didn't move, got annexed, but that's irrelevant)

at my house, we have a little strip of dirt (4-5 feet by15-20 feet) northern exposure, nasty clay soil, fence on one side, house on the other. My neice really likes digging there (very much not allowed), and it's also become a collecting spot for all kinds of stuff wating to be put away in the garage or put into the garbage.

so i'm thinking i'm going to put some nice plants there, but i'm having a hard time figuring out what to grow.

i've considered hostas, ferns, and astilbe, but i'm kind of looking for other ideas as well. any ideas? low maintenance, acid loving, non-rhododendrons would be awesome. something that will fill in, but that won't take over our yard and our neighbors.

I've always been partial to Lilly of the Valley, they'll grow pretty well in shade, have sort of an understated beauty & they smell great. Of course moss works too. :D
Regards, GF.

First thing that comes to mind are the fun ground covers I'm seeing more and more of these days. Some of them are full shade plants.

Or you could do the rock garden thing with some native plants. Have you stopped at a local nursery and talked to them yer? They can probably suggest some plants that would thrive in your yard. Maybe take a picture of the area with you?

stopping by molbaks on thursday, if not sooner. ive considered lily of the valley but i've heard it can become very invasive. i'll probable end up being a very typical washintonian and plant some hostas and ferns and call it good.

Actually, it grows just fine in full shade.

I can attest to this. Please plant native vegetation. Don't mean to sound all hippy dippy but there are so many benefits, not the least of which is decreased maintenance! :mug:

bengerman said:
in the shade? it's hard getting enough sun anywhere in my yard for them to be happy, let alone in the shadiest spot. they're on the other side of the house :rockin:

A tiny hop plant is better than no hops!
If I ran the world it'd be all hops barley and wheat, then the entire ecosystem would crash... but we would go down in a drunken blaze of glory

sweet. may have to pick some up if molbaks has any. oregon grape wine? i think it may be called for.

Latest posts

Back