PM: Couldn't get a grainbed to form... husks in my wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
I'm 17 minutes into the boil of my amber ale, and I just dipped my spoon into the wort, and I saw a bunch of sediment on the spoon. I couldn't get a good grainbed to form when I was mashing, there isn't a ton in there, but definately some husks made it through my SS braid.

Anyone got a beer thats started this way?

I've had it happen & have a fine mesh sieve I'll use while transferring to the fermenter. Picked it up at the Dollar store. The mesh isn't quite as fine as a metal coffee filter, but it's close.

I didn't have enough grains to get a good grain bed to form, and every time I tried to pour the wort back into it, I would disturb the grains and prevent it from forming the bed.

Oh well, its in the primary now.... :)

Rook said:
I didn't have enough grains to get a good grain bed to form, and every time I tried to pour the wort back into it, I would disturb the grains and prevent it from forming the bed.

Oh well, its in the primary now.... :)
You need to tell us what setup you are using. It sounds like your grain bed isn't deep enough and/or your straining device is too porous.

Sorry, rookie mistake.

I'm using a 3 gallon rubbermaid cooler with a stainless braided line for the filter. I put in 3.5lb grain, I've done this before with 5.5lb grain and its worked great, but heck, even with the 5.25quarts water, it barely covered the top of the grains, I actually added more than the recommended 1.5 quarts per lb just so the grains were submerged.

I'm sure it was becuase the grainbed was't deep enough. I guess I was't really looking for a solution to the problem, since I'll just make sure I don't do any partial mashes with that few grains, more just wondering what to expect from my beer, if others have had a similar situation/

it's happened to me as well. (same system as well)

used 2lbs of 2 row & 1.25 lbs of specialty grains (including crystal and cara-pils) and had 0.75lb of flaked oats.

All that I can tell you is that it affected my OG slightly (lower) still had a decent sparge though. Wondering though if dual sparges is what I should have done?

Back