plum cider?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKrumm

Reaction score
I used 2 gallons of cider and 2 gallons of fresh from the fruit plums. I boiled the plum juice with a gallon of water and 1 pound of sugar for 20 minutes. Was I a crazy person doing this? I used a wine yeast suggested to me figured it should turn out ok. did I mess up by not using pectic enzymes? I figured boiling it would have done the trick. It's been fermenting for almost 2 days now. Any thoughts?:fro:

Well, I make plum wine often. I never boil fruit, though. It gives a "cooked fruit" flavor that I don't care for, and it means the wine will never clear (think plum jam). You could try adding 2 teaspoons of pectic enzyme to help break that up if you care.

It may or may not be good. It will not be clear though. Like Yooper said, use pectic next time. But then again if you never try a new idea, you never know what works and what doesn't.

Back