Plugged Corny Kegs - need opinions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambor44

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to start a new thread just for this but I have 2 Five gallon ball lock kegs that are stuck. So far this is what I have tried and what I got to work (hopefully):

1. Blew CO2 back thru the liquid out post. Flows about 1 second and clogs completely. Tried several times, both kegs.

2. Purchased 2 of these Corny keg dip tube screens . Bled gas, removed dip tube. No clogs in the tube, just clogged in the poppet. Cleaned it all out, sanitized everything and couldn't get the screens to work. My dip tube is curved to keep it off of the bottom. Screen wouldn't go all the way on (hit curve). Straightened out dip tube, slid it all the way on and then it hits the bottom of the keg not allowing the dip tube to seat at the top of the keg (i.e., too long). Don't want to try and cut the keg as I may have found the fix (again, I hope).

Got to thinking about it and decided to post this topic. Then I realized the poppets in both kegs are those universal ones. Meh, couldn't hurt to try a swap so...

3. I removed a post with OEM poppet from another keg, sanitized and swap it out. Now my beer is flowing. :confused:

Coincidence? I don't think so. What do you all think?

Also, what do you do to unplug? Have you ever had to try and transfer carbonated beer with a clogged liquid out post? How would/did you do it?

Rob

EDIT: forgot to mention that after changing the post the flow included about 2/3 pint of hop debris.

Cut your dip tubes to shorten them. I bought extra dip tubes so I can swap out if I get a keg that keeps clogging. http://www.homebrewing.org/product....ium=shopping&gclid=CM-syqiKjskCFYZgfgodcc4Ixw
That way you can have a regular sized tube and a shortened tube for troublesome kegs. If that fails, get a sanitized turkey baster and suck as much junk off the bottom of the keg until it starts flowing again. In addition, do your best not to get trub/yeast etc. into your kegs going forward.

P.S. buying a spare tube and cutting it short is a lot cheaper than buying a floating system even though it looks cool.

I've bent my dip tubes to get them up higher. You can cut them too if you wish. Also try and get clearer beer in your kegs! ;)

I dry hop i my keg by using a nylon bag tied off with dental floss running through the seal and tied to the keg handle. I've also soldered a small tab on the inside of one of my lids. That works great too.

I accidentally sucked up a bunch of trub once during racking. This resulted in constant clogging of the poppets. Finally just removed both poppets (post and QD) and stuck a note to myself by the QD not too disconnect without first relieving all pressure! (These where universal poppets also)

+1 for cutting about 1/2" inch off the dip tube to prevent clogs

I've also (more than once) brought the keg outside, vented the pressure, removed the OUT post and given a quick shot of CO2 to geyser the junk out. Works like a charm. :mug:

I accidentally sucked up a bunch of trub once during racking. This resulted in constant clogging of the poppets. Finally just removed both poppets (post and QD) and stuck a note to myself by the QD not too disconnect without first relieving all pressure! (These where universal poppets also)

Now there's an idea!

Not to others regarding bending and cutting, please note in my original post I mentioned that they were curved off the bottom for that very reason originally. I only straightened them back out to try and make use of the screens.

Good points though. I may just cut these. They are brand new kegs, first use. Weird that they would have universal poppets in new kegs huh?

Dare I suggest a better racking process? Obviously that isn't a solution for someone that currently has a clog. I've only had a clog once and it was enough of a pain for me to make sure that I never again let anything big enough to plug a poppet in the keg.

I was thinking about a diy floating pickup. Why would you say expensive? It seems strait forward

Dare I suggest a better racking process? Obviously that isn't a solution for someone that currently has a clog. I've only had a clog once and it was enough of a pain for me to make sure that I never again let anything big enough to plug a poppet in the keg.

Sure, but as you mentioned, that doesn't fix this and it was mentioned by Homercidal already. :p

Latest posts

Back