Pliny the legacy Nb clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphmag025

Reaction score
Hello all. I am planning on brewing a ten gallon batch of Northern Brewers Pliny the Legacy clone. It calls for a 90 minute boil. Would I increase that for the larger batch? Also, can anyone recommend the best gadget to deal with all the hops...especially the dry hopping? I am thinking this is tapped about two months after fermentation is complete? Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

The boil time doesn't change. Adjust water volumes for your boil off rate.

I'd adjust post boil volume to account for more hop trub losses that don't make it to the fermenter.

For dry hopping, I ferment in a kegmenter that has a floating dip tube with a screen. No containment needed. Cold crash to drop the hops for a couple days then closed transfer to my purged kegs. Extra volume to the fermenter will also help to account for losses to hop material.

Start at the end for how much beer you want packaged, then work backwards with estimated losses at each step to get your pre-boil volume. Then adjust the grain bill to get the required gravity at that volume.

Time wise, I'd soft crash to 50 when fermentation is done, dry hop a day or 2, cold crash and transfer to kegs. Then hook up to gas and start tasting. I increase pressure at the end of fermentation so it's pretty much carbonated at packaging. I would think it should be good to go in a week or 2, even if it wasn't already carbonated.

Thanks for the info. I will be using a regular fermenter...still not sure about the dry hop situation given that fact..

People have so many options, I don't think that there is such a thing as a "regular" fermenter :D

Plastic bucket? Glass or plastic carboy?

Latest posts

Back