Pliny the Elder sugar addition and repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwheel

Reaction score
I made a PtE clone yesterday, and pitched about a 1/2 L starter of 1056. I plan on adding the 3/4 lbs of sugar after peak fermentation, mainly because I want to dry this beer out as much as possible. A lot of my beers end up sweet, and that's because I only started doing yeast starters recently, and only recently learned to relax and leave the beer alone. I'm wondering if it would hurt to pitch another 1/2 L starter of some 1056 I have laying around when I add the sugar.

My thinking is that my 1/2 L starter was low according to Mr Malty, and it might be nice to get some fresh yeast in the mix when the sugar is added.

Thoughts? Is this a waste? Or dangerous?

-James

Would only be dangerous if your sanitation was not very good on the second starter. Other then that if the yeast have pretty much fermented the beer out another half pound of sugar should not be enough to throw them off so you probably don't even need it.

You just made a ~5 gallon starter from your original 1/2 L starter... so there are now plenty of yeast in there. Unless you have some reason to suspect your yeast are in poor health I wouldn't bother.

If you're worried you can check your gravity after the sugar addition, and again 24-48hrs later. If the gravity doesn't drop you could add your extra yeast at that point. As the guy above me said, I doubt you'll need it!

You just made a ~5 gallon starter from your original 1/2 L starter... so there are now plenty of yeast in there. Unless you have some reason to suspect your yeast are in poor health I wouldn't bother.

great point. :mug: as the two guys above me said, you'll doubtfully need to pitch more yeast. they'll be happy to get some simple sugars for dessert after chewing through the wort.

Back