Pliny Cloners: How successful were you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKoravos

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing up a Pliny clone based on Vinnie's recipe coming up here soon. I know a lot of people have brewed this recipe. How close were you to the original? Do you feel you got the same level of hop intensity as the Pliny, or other similar IIPAs?

I thought I nailed it and in the beginning it had all that great resiny bite and the nose was spot on. Did a side by side and everyone that tried it agreed. Now a couple months later it's still great, but more like Nugget Nector than Pliny. Having said that, it's something I ALWAYS want on one of my taps. I'll need to do a group brew and trade off one of the 5 gallons with whatever the other person is doing to keep it fresh. Last time Ubermick and I traded a Racer 5 clone and the Pliny.

It's my most brewed recipe. 3-way comparison of homebrew versions of Vinnie's original recipe as well as the "modern" version, and the real thing here.

Back