PLEASE PLEASE help with this hop pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
I am about to do a pale ale and was going to use centennial for bittering and cascade for flavor and aroma...I can't get centennial at my local brew shop. So should I use EK goldings, Columbus, or Hallertaur..I would like a mild bodyed ale not extremly overpowering with the hops..Any suggestions?

Columbus is closest. Goldings is more for English/Irish ales and Hallertauer for lagers.

This site: http://www.highgravitybrew.com/BeerHops/Centennialhopsprofile.html recommends substituting 70% Columbus and 30% Cascade for Centennial. I wonder if it's primarily to get the AA% down. Columbus has a higher average AA% so cutting it with Cascade will get the AA% closer to what Centennial would have been.

Since you're only substituting the bittering (vs. aroma/flavor) hop, the beer shouldn't be too affected, assuming you keep it to the same IBUs. Use a program or online recipe calculator to experiment with hop additions to get the IBUs you're looking for.

Since you're only substituting the bittering (vs. aroma/flavor) hop, the beer shouldn't be too affected, assuming you keep it to the same IBUs. Use a program or online recipe calculator to experiment with hop additions to get the IBUs you're looking for.

+1

Definitely want to make sure your IBUs stay around the same. Otherwise you'll end up with either too hoppy or too malty of a beer.

I have posted several different recipes for a pale ale recipe and have just about refined it, I have done tons of research and can not figure out what to pair with cascade hops. I would like to do something different and don't want to use centennial or columbus. So I was thinking
1oz cascade 60 min
1/2oz e kent goldings 20 min
1/4 oz cascade 15 min
1/4 oz cascade 5min

PLEASE HELP. will this work

I have posted several different recipes for a pale ale recipe and have just about refined it, I have done tons of research and can not figure out what to pair with cascade hops. I would like to do something different and don't want to use centennial or columbus. So I was thinking
1oz cascade 60 min
1/2oz e kent goldings 20 min
1/4 oz cascade 15 min
1/4 oz cascade 5min

PLEASE HELP. will this work

I personally would go with perle.I would use it for the 60 min boil IMO

I think you're asking if those EKG's will go well, right? EKG is a beautiful and delicate hop. I don't think you'll be able to notice it. Cascade is much more assertive. Perhaps pair them with something more like amarillo, simcoe, glacier, cluster, any NW hop should do it...

EDIT: also, if you want something to pair well, try adding a 50/50 mix at the end rather than just a 20 minute addition as the cascade will more than likely cover it up.

I think you're asking if those EKG's will go well, right? EKG is a beautiful and delicate hop. I don't think you'll be able to notice it. Cascade is much more assertive. Perhaps pair them with something more like amarillo, simcoe, glacier, cluster, any NW hop should do it...

EDIT: also, if you want something to pair well, try adding a 50/50 mix at the end rather than just a 20 minute addition as the cascade will more than likely cover it up.

That is absloutly waht I am asking. I am having a tough time tring to find good hop pairings.

You got me thinking about a beer I made a while back. I bittered with cascade and did a 50/50 even split of cascade and willamette at 20, 10 , and flameout. It was great. I need to make that one again real soon now that I think about it.

Try Willamette.

I've seen many people comment on how Willamette complements or enhances cascades, plus Redhook uses this combo for their Longhammer IPA which is pretty tasty IMHO.

You got me thinking about a beer I made a while back. I bittered with cascade and did a 50/50 even split of cascade and willamette at 20, 10 , and flameout. It was great. I need to make that one again real soon now that I think
about it.[/Q

After you told me NW I thought of Willamette and was just about to ask if that would work...Thanks alot for the help, you have really helped me out.

Zues would be a good pairing with cascade. I did an IPA with zues and cascade. my schedule was 1oz cascade at 60, 1/2oz cascade at 40, 1/2oz cascade at 30, 1/2oz zues at 20, 1/2oz zues at 10 and then I dry hopped in the secondary with 1oz zues. I have not tried the kent goldings with the cascade as of yet so I couldn't tell you.

Cascade is decidely citrusy, and English hops like fuggles and Kent goldings are more "earthy". I think that cascade would cover up the lighter flavored hops.

Maybe a similar hop like willamette would be better with cascade, than goldings. Mt Hood might work, too. I've used Styrian goldings with cascade in the past, and glacier hops as well.

By the way, there is no need to post the same question in four different forums. We can see the question, and it's more work for the moderators to try to combine the posts into one thread.

Back