PLEASE let the Northern Brewer buy-out be a hoax!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp.

At least HomebrewTalk gets a mention out of the deal, right?

How funny.

"And judging by the doomsday scenarios and jokes about assimilation ("resistance is futile") already splattered across the Homebrew Talk forum thread, many homebrewers won't take kindly to news of ZX's investment."

You can actually farm donkeys??!!

Yes, but not mules (sterile). Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.

Anything else?

Excerpt from the Daily email of "Craft Beer News" from http://bevinsights.com/
Beyond acquisitions that expand its core brewing business, AB InBev recently "partnered" with Northern Brewer, one of top online homebrew supply retailers, via ABI's global ZX Ventures "Disruptive Growth" group. Minnesota-based Northern Brewer is widely considered the largest online ingredient and equipment retailer for homebrewers across US, especially if considered in tandem with Midwest Supplies, with which it now shares ownership after each co took on separate private investors, according to multiple reports/sources. Both of those cos operate separate websites as well as brick and mortar shops in the upper Midwest, but do the majority of their sales online, we understand.
This deal just one more piece of largely secretive plans and activities of ABI's private equity subsidiary ZX Ventures. So far it invested in a number of cos with biz models tangential to brewing, including Owl's Brew tea-based mixers and radlers and Kombrewcha low-alc kombucha brands, as reported in sister-pubs Beverage Business Insights and Beer Marketer's Insights. The group "is pleased to share we have partnered with Northern Brewer. The team there shares our passion for brewing and commitment to the best ingredients," ZX's Global VP of Homebrewing Cassiano Hissnauer said in statement to Craft Brew News. "ZX Ventures is excited to enter the homebrew space to help Northern Brewer to grow," he added, as the 20-yr old homebrewing supply retailer "has built an extraordinary network and community of homebrewers." Terms of the "partnership" were not disclosed.
In fact, very little about deal being talked about. Note that AB has favored 100% acquisitions in all of its small brewer purchases within the US rather than partial stakes. But not much known about size or scale of previous investments made by ZX group or its overarching strategy other than "disruptive growth." For its part, Northern Brewer offering very little information too. It's "still a family-owned local business," according to its website, and isn't commenting on "any potential business partnerships" when asked by numerous interested hobbyists, hipped to possibility of a deal by a post to popular online forum Homebrew Talk. Unsurprisingly, reactions there vary from vitriolic conspiracy theories to what amount to shrugs and laughs: why would the world's largest brewer buy some homebrew shop in Minnesota?
Top Supply Retailer's Close Contact with Homebrewers, E-Commerce Platform As a leader in US sales of homebrew suppliers, Northern Brewer buys and ships a lot of grain, hops and yeast as well as equipment ranging from plastic tubs to multi-hundred-dollar high-tech brewing, fermentation and draft systems. It also operates its own online forum for homebrewers to discuss recipes, troubleshooting and more, and runs an extensive customer service platform to answer questions. All in, that's a whole lot of data on the homebrewing community, often pointed to by craft brewers as a major source of innovation in brewing.
Then too, Northern Brewer also runs a fairly significant e-commerce platform, taking, processing and shipping orders from all over the country. E-commerce is already a much-discussed topic in the beer industry, with many wondering when large scale online beer sales may emerge and just how disruptive it will be to the industry when it does. Recently, king of online retail Amazon has been testing new concepts to expand existing Amazon Fresh grocery biz, including plans to build brick-and-mortar convenience stores, as Wall St Journal reported this week. Many expect Amazon to test online alc bev sales thru its Prime service (see Oct 5 CBN) and now major retailers Wal-Mart and Kroger are working to compete by adding digital and/or delivery capabilities, per WSJ.
Homebrew Retail: Fewer Shops, Less Profitable Due to Changing Homebrewer Patterns Homebrewing itself has become an increasingly popular hobby in the US that has grown right along with craft brewing. There were about 1.2 mil homebrewers brewing an estimated 2 mil bbls per year back in 2013, according to American Homebrewers Assn, an arm of Brewers Assn. Currently, there are just over 800 homebrew retail shops in US, as tracked by AHA, director Gary Glass told CBN. But that's down slightly from peak of 815-820 at end of last yr and beginning of 2016. That's first time AHA has tracked a decrease in the number of outlets, Gary said. He also expects to see a slight overall decline in revenue reported by these retailers this yr.
Behind those overarching trends, Gary revealed a couple of interesting patterns that counter the notion that the hobby overall could be in decline. The sharpest declines in outlets have been among older (5+ yrs in biz) brick & mortar stores, but AHA has also tracked revenue declines among online retailers. The strongest growth has been among new brick & mortar neighborhood stores. Members tell the AHA they prefer to shop at local homebrew stores (often referred to as an LHBS by homebrewers) over online retailers. So as new shops open, they're either taking biz from online retailers (when they're the first LHBS in an area) or older shops not providing as strong a service. Further, many homebrewers report moving to more advanced "all-grain" brewing, which mirrors process at commercial brewers more closely and eliminates use of grain extracts, which tend to be both more expensive and have better margins for retailers, Gary reminded. That switch alone will hit a shop's bottom line. Homebrewers also seem to be brewing less frequently, Gary said, which could, in part, be because there are so many more local breweries around.
Long-time homebrewers often report turning to the hobby in order to just have access to the styles of beer they sought. They also tend to be some of the most fierce advocates for independence in the beer industry. "You make a choice, a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole," founder of Northern Brewer Chris Farley wrote for post titled "Good Beer is Your Right," still on the co's website. And judging by the doomsday scenarios and jokes about assimilation ("resistance is futile") already splattered across the Homebrew Talk forum thread, many homebrewers won't take kindly to news of ZX's investment. In fact, even before confirmation, concerns about the deal echo those raised after AB's acquisitions of small brewers: access to raw materials and increased buying power of an industry leader or better-funded competitors that could dig deeper in targeted local markets. Whether or not these concerns are well-founded, this investment clearly a striking move that further embeds AB into the heart of craft.

Auburn is nice. Have you been to Knee Deep? I'm still looking for an excuse to drive the 2 1/2 hours to check it out. Love Lupulin River when I can get it fresh.

Sort of OT for this thread but I also recommend Auburn Alehouse. Good beer and food. I always stop there on my way up to Truckee and grab growlers (Knee Deep is a bit off the road).

This rumor does appear to be true. From NikoBrew's Facebook page:

"
Update on topic from today's "Craft Beer News":
"Beyond acquisitions that expand its core brewing business, AB InBev recently "partnered" with Northern Brewer, one of top online homebrew supply retailers, via ABI's global ZX Ventures "Disruptive Growth" group. Minnesota-based Northern Brewer is widely considered the largest online ingredient and equipment retailer for homebrewers across US, especially if considered in tandem with Midwest Supplies, with which it now shares ownership after each co took on separate private investors, according to multiple reports/sources. Both of those cos operate separate websites as well as brick and mortar shops in the upper Midwest, but do the majority of their sales online, we understand.
Long-time homebrewers often report turning to the hobby in order to just have access to the styles of beer they sought. They also tend to be some of the most fierce advocates for independence in the beer industry. "You make a choice, a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole," founder of Northern Brewer Chris Farley wrote for post titled "Good Beer is Your Right," still on the co's website. And judging by the doomsday scenarios and jokes about assimilation ("resistance is futile") already splattered across the Homebrew Talk forum thread, many homebrewers won't take kindly to news of ZX's investment. In fact, even before confirmation, concerns about the deal echo those raised after AB's acquisitions of small brewers: access to raw materials and increased buying power of an industry leader or better-funded competitors that could dig deeper in targeted local markets. Whether or not these concerns are well-founded, this investment clearly a striking move that further embeds AB into the heart of craft."​

On one hand I can see AB InBev's purchasing power helping Northern Brewer and that may have some benefits (cheaper hops, maybe more exclusive varieties, etc).... but on the other hand, AB InBev buying everything sucks. I'm now very happy I quit buying from them years ago. My town finally got a good homebrew store and I typically buy my hops in bulk from the various places. MoreBeer/Farmhouse/etc will get my internet business.

My thought: I don't really care if it's true.

NB has awesome podcast commercials, and very nicely-done catalogs, but I prefer my local shop, even though they have only a fraction of the stuff NB has and their prices are a little higher. A buck or two here and there, not a big deal to me.

Keep in mind that the press release states that AB InBev is "partnering" and that the terms of the partnership have not been disclosed. A little too soon to draw conclusions as to complete takeover. The piece did mention that AB InBev favors 100% acquisitions of small breweries; no idea if their equity subsidiary will insist on the same for NB.

It's real. Confirmed today. I actually checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't april fools.

I can't believe this real.

http://mnbeeractivists.com/newsfeed/northern-brewer-midwest-supplies-acquired-ab-inbev

It's kinda creepy. They're watching us. And they'll have our money one way or the other.

Not mine. Every brewery they've bought sucks dick & NB is at the bottom of my supply list.

Brew Hardware, MoreBeer, Williams, Yakima Valley Hops & Hops Direct are my jimmidy jam jam jam. NB will hopefully close down with all their silly gimmicks & i for one will not miss them

We need a co-op of homebrewers. There are a lot of members here and a lot of purchasing power. NB was one of us. Flash some money and they're gone. HBT itself could become our supplier. Owned and operated by all of its members. Just a thought...

We need a co-op of homebrewers. There are a lot of members here and a lot of purchasing power. I wish I had the time to step up to the plate.

That's a damn good idea but you're also exactly right.

I'm also an avid home coffee roaster. The best co-op site I know of is anemic due to lack of strong leadership. There is another co-op site though that is much looser & wildly stronger. Not sure what the correlation is but ther is no doubt the idea could work:mug:

That's a damn good idea but you're also exactly right.

I'm also an avid home coffee roaster. The best co-op site I know of is anemic due to lack of strong leadership. There is another co-op site though that is much looser & wildly stronger. Not sure what the correlation is but ther is no doubt the idea could work:mug:

I have been around here for a while. Homebrewers are, as a whole, VERY intelligent people. I wouldn't mess with us. We have all the resources in our membership to actually hurt the big guys if we got together and put our minds to it.

We need a co-op of homebrewers. There are a lot of members here and a lot of purchasing power. NB was one of us. Flash some money and they're gone. HBT itself could become our supplier. Owned and operated by all of its members. Just a thought...

I love this idea. I'd be willing to support in whatever way is needed. I do work in the home brew equipment industry though. Depending on how it worked I may have to pass because of a conflict of interest. Great idea, not worth risking the day job, yet.

Welp, seems to be official. http://mnbeeractivists.com/newsfeed/northern-brewer-midwest-supplies-acquired-ab-inbev

Excerpt from the Daily email of "Craft Beer News" from http://bevinsights.com/
Beyond acquisitions that expand its core brewing business, AB InBev recently "partnered" with Northern Brewer, one of top online homebrew supply retailers, via ABI's global ZX Ventures "Disruptive Growth" group. Minnesota-based Northern Brewer is widely considered the largest online ingredient and equipment retailer for homebrewers across US, especially if considered in tandem with Midwest Supplies, with which it now shares ownership after each co took on separate private investors, according to multiple reports/sources. Both of those cos operate separate websites as well as brick and mortar shops in the upper Midwest, but do the majority of their sales online, we understand.
This deal just one more piece of largely secretive plans and activities of ABI's private equity subsidiary ZX Ventures. So far it invested in a number of cos with biz models tangential to brewing, including Owl's Brew tea-based mixers and radlers and Kombrewcha low-alc kombucha brands, as reported in sister-pubs Beverage Business Insights and Beer Marketer's Insights. The group "is pleased to share we have partnered with Northern Brewer. The team there shares our passion for brewing and commitment to the best ingredients," ZX's Global VP of Homebrewing Cassiano Hissnauer said in statement to Craft Brew News. "ZX Ventures is excited to enter the homebrew space to help Northern Brewer to grow," he added, as the 20-yr old homebrewing supply retailer "has built an extraordinary network and community of homebrewers." Terms of the "partnership" were not disclosed.
In fact, very little about deal being talked about. Note that AB has favored 100% acquisitions in all of its small brewer purchases within the US rather than partial stakes. But not much known about size or scale of previous investments made by ZX group or its overarching strategy other than "disruptive growth." For its part, Northern Brewer offering very little information too. It's "still a family-owned local business," according to its website, and isn't commenting on "any potential business partnerships" when asked by numerous interested hobbyists, hipped to possibility of a deal by a post to popular online forum Homebrew Talk. Unsurprisingly, reactions there vary from vitriolic conspiracy theories to what amount to shrugs and laughs: why would the world's largest brewer buy some homebrew shop in Minnesota?
Top Supply Retailer's Close Contact with Homebrewers, E-Commerce Platform As a leader in US sales of homebrew suppliers, Northern Brewer buys and ships a lot of grain, hops and yeast as well as equipment ranging from plastic tubs to multi-hundred-dollar high-tech brewing, fermentation and draft systems. It also operates its own online forum for homebrewers to discuss recipes, troubleshooting and more, and runs an extensive customer service platform to answer questions. All in, that's a whole lot of data on the homebrewing community, often pointed to by craft brewers as a major source of innovation in brewing.
Then too, Northern Brewer also runs a fairly significant e-commerce platform, taking, processing and shipping orders from all over the country. E-commerce is already a much-discussed topic in the beer industry, with many wondering when large scale online beer sales may emerge and just how disruptive it will be to the industry when it does. Recently, king of online retail Amazon has been testing new concepts to expand existing Amazon Fresh grocery biz, including plans to build brick-and-mortar convenience stores, as Wall St Journal reported this week. Many expect Amazon to test online alc bev sales thru its Prime service (see Oct 5 CBN) and now major retailers Wal-Mart and Kroger are working to compete by adding digital and/or delivery capabilities, per WSJ.
Homebrew Retail: Fewer Shops, Less Profitable Due to Changing Homebrewer Patterns Homebrewing itself has become an increasingly popular hobby in the US that has grown right along with craft brewing. There were about 1.2 mil homebrewers brewing an estimated 2 mil bbls per year back in 2013, according to American Homebrewers Assn, an arm of Brewers Assn. Currently, there are just over 800 homebrew retail shops in US, as tracked by AHA, director Gary Glass told CBN. But that's down slightly from peak of 815-820 at end of last yr and beginning of 2016. That's first time AHA has tracked a decrease in the number of outlets, Gary said. He also expects to see a slight overall decline in revenue reported by these retailers this yr.
Behind those overarching trends, Gary revealed a couple of interesting patterns that counter the notion that the hobby overall could be in decline. The sharpest declines in outlets have been among older (5+ yrs in biz) brick & mortar stores, but AHA has also tracked revenue declines among online retailers. The strongest growth has been among new brick & mortar neighborhood stores. Members tell the AHA they prefer to shop at local homebrew stores (often referred to as an LHBS by homebrewers) over online retailers. So as new shops open, they're either taking biz from online retailers (when they're the first LHBS in an area) or older shops not providing as strong a service. Further, many homebrewers report moving to more advanced "all-grain" brewing, which mirrors process at commercial brewers more closely and eliminates use of grain extracts, which tend to be both more expensive and have better margins for retailers, Gary reminded. That switch alone will hit a shop's bottom line. Homebrewers also seem to be brewing less frequently, Gary said, which could, in part, be because there are so many more local breweries around.
Long-time homebrewers often report turning to the hobby in order to just have access to the styles of beer they sought. They also tend to be some of the most fierce advocates for independence in the beer industry. "You make a choice, a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole," founder of Northern Brewer Chris Farley wrote for post titled "Good Beer is Your Right," still on the co's website. And judging by the doomsday scenarios and jokes about assimilation ("resistance is futile") already splattered across the Homebrew Talk forum thread, many homebrewers won't take kindly to news of ZX's investment. In fact, even before confirmation, concerns about the deal echo those raised after AB's acquisitions of small brewers: access to raw materials and increased buying power of an industry leader or better-funded competitors that could dig deeper in targeted local markets. Whether or not these concerns are well-founded, this investment clearly a striking move that further embeds AB into the heart of craft.

Wow! We've always joked here at Farmhouse that NB was the "Evil Empire" but would have never fathomed this ever happening.

Let it be know, Farmhouse Brewing Supply was literally started on this site in the Home Brew Market section almost 6 years ago and this community has helped us become the shop we are today. Thank you all.

We are home brewers and we love home brewing and are really kinda sad to hear this news.

Well thank god for the Internet, so we know when ABIN BEV buys these companies.

Also a good thing about the more local brewery/coffee roasters/ independent company kind of thing is that you know who in your area is an independent company or at least owned by someone with half decent business ethics.

Found this blurb on Homebrew Finds:
"This is from Niko over at Nikobrew (via his Facebook Page)…

“Beyond acquisitions that expand its core brewing business, AB InBev recently “partnered” with Northern Brewer, one of top online homebrew supply retailers, via ABI’s global ZX Ventures “Disruptive Growth” group. Minnesota-based Northern Brewer is widely considered the largest online ingredient and equipment retailer for homebrewers across US, especially if considered in tandem with Midwest Supplies, with which it now shares ownership after each co took on separate private investors, according to multiple reports/sources. Both of those cos operate separate websites as well as brick and mortar shops in the upper Midwest, but do the majority of their sales online, we understand.

Long-time homebrewers often report turning to the hobby in order to just have access to the styles of beer they sought. They also tend to be some of the most fierce advocates for independence in the beer industry. “You make a choice, a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole,” founder of Northern Brewer Chris Farley wrote for post titled “Good Beer is Your Right,” still on the co’s website. And judging by the doomsday scenarios and jokes about assimilation (“resistance is futile”) already splattered across the Homebrew Talk forum thread, many homebrewers won’t take kindly to news of ZX’s investment. In fact, even before confirmation, concerns about the deal echo those raised after AB’s acquisitions of small brewers: access to raw materials and increased buying power of an industry leader or better-funded competitors that could dig deeper in targeted local markets. Whether or not these concerns are well-founded, this investment clearly a striking move that further embeds AB into the heart of craft.”

Wow! We've always joked here at Farmhouse that NB was the "Evil Empire" but would have never fathomed this ever happening.

Let it be know, Farmhouse Brewing Supply was literally started on this site in the Home Brew Market section almost 6 years ago and this community has helped us become the shop we are today. Thank you all.

We are home brewers and we love home brewing and are really kinda sad to hear this news.

Might have to start ordering from you. Since one of the local homebrew shops (about 45 minutes away from me) is closing up shop in a few days, I'd rather not purchase my ingredients from AB/INBEV.

I wonder if they'll ever start running a better promotion than "spend $500, get a free refractometer".

To me, NB is like the really really fancy grocery store in town. You only go there to get a specialty ingredient that nobody else carries.

Welp, didnt even know about you guys (there are a LOT of brew sites). I have two brand new ball kegs sittin in my shopping cart just waiting to pull the trigger. Ill bookmark for future reference :)

Per terms of AB-Inbev's deal with the government to buy SAB Miller, any brewery acquisitions now regardless of size have to be approved by the government. They probably are done acquiring breweries because of this and are turning to homebrew and other areas for acquisitions.

I wonder if they'll ever start running a better promotion than "spend $500, get a free refractometer".

To me, NB is like the really really fancy grocery store in town. You only go there to get a specialty ingredient that nobody else carries.

Huh? NB has some pretty significant sales throughout the year. They just recently had a 20% off everything sale, a handful of extract kits w/ grains for only $14.92 for Columbus day when most of them cost around $30 year round, and the IPA day sale where there were a handful of IPA kits for only $20 a piece.

I surely wouldn't say their normal pricing is the best, but they definitely have sales that are really hard to pass up.

Wow. I gotta admit, when I first posted in this thread, I was extremely skeptical. Sounded like goofy internet conspiracies.

I owe OP and anyone else confirming the tale an apology. Sorry for not taking you seriously, internet friends.

That said, this doesn't really change anything for me. I treated NB and MW like Walmart: generally avoided unless they could provide something that I needed or wanted that I could not get at my LHBS or for a better deal somewhere else. I like their PET fermentors and I bought a specialty grain and oak cubes that I couldn't get locally. I still like their PET fermentors, but the grain and cubes I can get locally now.

Wow. I gotta admit, when I first posted in this thread, I was extremely skeptical. Sounded like goofy internet conspiracies.

I owe OP and anyone else confirming the tale an apology. Sorry for not taking you seriously, internet friends.

Yeah, what he said. Sorry I doubted the op.

How funny.

"And judging by the doomsday scenarios and jokes about assimilation ("resistance is futile") already splattered across the Homebrew Talk forum thread, many homebrewers won't take kindly to news of ZX's investment."

Yay my post about assimilation got mentioned.

But it's not all fun and games, AB really stands for "Actually the Borg".

All we can do now is sit back, relax, and have a homebrew while we watch the world burn.

And maybe play the fiddle a little.

Ha! "Resistance is futile" was me.

But really, I don't give even the slightest of sh*ts about all this corporate boogeyman stuff. I'll continue to be a happy Northern Brewer customer, and I'll continue to enjoy Ballast Point, Goose Island, etc.

All the pearl-clutching makes me think of

giphy.gif

NB was one of us. Flash some money and they're gone.

I'm sorry but I've owned a business before and I'm sure a vast majority of people, given the opportunity, would have taken this partnership. The chance for your years working your ass off to really pay you back, increase buying power, increase market share. It's a no-brainer... it's capitalism... it's 'Murica.

If NB didn't partner, AB/Inbev would've found somebody that would take the deal and the people at NB are smart enough to know that would have put them at a huge disadvantage and negatively impact their business.

So good for NB. Hopefully this helps them improve their business and service to the homebrew community.

All this holier than thou, I don't shop here blah blah blah

Shut up and have a home brew :mug:

I'm sorry but I've owned a business before and I'm sure a vast majority of people, given the opportunity, would have taken this partnership. The chance for your years working your ass off to really pay you back, increase buying power, increase market share. It's a no-brainer... it's capitalism... it's 'Murica.

If NB didn't partner, AB/Inbev would've found somebody that would take the deal and the people at NB are smart enough to know that would have put them at a huge disadvantage and negatively impact their business.

So good for NB. Hopefully this helps them improve their business and service to the homebrew community.

All this holier than thou, I don't shop here blah blah blah

Shut up and have a home brew :mug:

It seems like the people who started the company exited some awhile ago and a private equity like firm owns or owned them. So it seems more like a cash out from a buy out firm.

http://www.entrepreneurpartners.com/our_portfolio/companies.html

Back