Please help trouble shooting - hope dying ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwoorro

Reaction score
A44FFB57-23B2-493C-96F6-275CCA9CCE77.jpeg
31CF2F39-BA3C-47E8-8D77-02334D9BFACA.jpeg
AC518908-3A56-4A87-B91A-EE301E5FB3BA.jpeg

Sorry I’m on mobile and I couldn’t post text before I accidentally submitted. Weather is very mild (50-75F), get 10 hours of sun per day. They are in a self watering container, was growing fine through our summer and suddenly started turning yellow from the bottom. Any help is appreciated

Looks a bit like a fungus that I get on my tomato plants.
Leaves turn yellow with spots then dry and fall off. Starts from the ground and progresses up.
The plants stop producing but will finish already-set fruit.
Possibly "Septoria Leaf Spot" or "Verticullium Wilt"?

Last edited:
hops are deciduous, and grow back from the roots every spring?

edit: and every year they come back "Harder, Better, Stronger"!!

Sorry I’m on mobile and I couldn’t post text before I accidentally submitted. Weather is very mild (50-75F), get 10 hours of sun per day. They are in a self watering container, was growing fine through our summer and suddenly started turning yellow from the bottom. Any help is appreciated
Looks a bit like a fungus that I get on my tomato plants.
Leaves turn yellow with spots then dry and fall off. Starts from the ground and progresses up.
The plants stop producing but will finish already-set fruit.
Possibly "Septoria Leaf Spot"
hmm just googled and doesn’t quite look like it. The whole leave goes from green to pale yellow first, and then the brown comes.

hops are deciduous, and grow back from the roots every spring?

edit: and every year they come back "Harder, Better, Stronger"!!
I am just a little concerned since I thought the die back only happens in more extreme climate. Also I was worried this look a bit like over watering and the rhizome is rotting. The hops are in self watering container and the soil is quite moist

I am just a little concerned since I thought the die back only happens in more extreme climate. Also I was worried this look a bit like over watering and the rhizome is rotting. The hops are in self watering container and the soil is quite moist

you said you have only 10 hours of sunlight. i'm thinking they know when it's bed time, and hybernate for the winter....i've grown hops in NorCal, and they'd die back...

Oh, you left that part out.
They definitely can be hurt by too-much water.
Oh sorry. I didn’t look at the rhizome. It’s just the yellowing of leaves are usually a sign of overwater. I didn’t dig it up and look. I also have not fertilized it since planting it in august.

you said you have only 10 hours of sunlight. i'm thinking they know when it's bed time, and hybernate for the winter....i've grown hops in NorCal, and they'd die back...
Oh interesting. I’m actually in SoCal. When they die back, do you need to continue to water them? Sorry I’m new to growing… anything

?? you want to plant in spring not fall, i think?

i moved early summer and didn’t learn that important information until I planted them. The tallest one I have now is about 12 ft tall and is also having the Same problem.

i moved early summer and didn’t learn that important information until I planted them. The tallest one I have now is about 12 ft tall and is also having the Same problem.

my thought would be, cut em down...get the trellis cleaned up for next spring, and they'll come raging back up. but planting them in august? not sure if they got the calorie stores in the rhizome for a come back?

I am in SoCal and have had hit and miss experiences growing hops for the past four years. The weather has not been friendly with too cool summer beginnings. I am going to mulch the hell out of mine this next year and hope for some consistent sun. But my hops, newly planted to 4-years old all did the same thing.

Latest posts

Back