Please help me figure this out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
So my problem is I have a batch of brew acting wonky. Here is the what's what about it.
8 lbs 2 row
1 lbs victory
1 lbs crystal 60
.25 lbs chocolate malt
Mashed at 154° f for 90 minutes batch sparge.
.5 oz hersbrucker 60 min
.5 oz hersbrucker 10 min
1 tsp Irish moss ( hydrated with 1 cup water ) 15 min
.5 lbs malto dextrin flame out
Ferment 68°f. Let sit in the primary 4 months.
Rack on top of medium toast oak cubes and 4 cans of Oregon raspberries pureed in blender.
Secondary four months.
Bottle at 3.2 volumes of CO2. Brown sugar every time. Store at 70°+ for 1 month sometimes a lot longer.
The only variable is the person that helped with bottling.
My problem is two bottles have been some of the best beer I have ever made. Two of the bottles have been pretty much flat. And one of the bottles blew the top before the first month was up. I pin that on a un clean bottle.
Does anybody have any idea what the heck is happening?
Thanks any input would be appreciated.

Also I have made this batch several times with no issues the yeast I have been pitching is Wyeast 3278.

Sorry no idea. Could the priming sugar been added in lump sum (dumped instead of lightly with stir), the the first bottles received very little as a sugar cake formed on the bottom in a lump, the middle batch receive the correct amount, and the last WAY to much as the lump dissolved?

Sorry no idea. Could the priming sugar been added in lump sum (dumped instead of lightly with stir), the the first bottles received very little as a sugar cake formed on the bottom in a lump, the middle batch receive the correct amount, and the last WAY to much as the lump dissolved?

Yes, pretty much. You shouldn't be priming with solid sugar, but dissolving it in hot water before priming. Undissolved sugar will tend to sink to the bottom of the bottling bucket and much of it will remain undissolved or dissolve and hang around the bottom of the bucket, leaving the last few bottles way overprimed. The same thing still happens to a degree with priming sugar that's been dissolved and mixed in with the beer, but to a lesser degree.

Sorry guys I boil the priming sugar gently stir wait five minutes stir again then bottle. Same step even with clean beers. Sorry I left this out.

Should I consider adding a couple grams of US-05 a few weeks before I bottle.

If you're getting bottle bombs, yeast isn't a problem. It sounds like you just needed to be a bit more diligent about getting (and keeping) the sugar mixed into the beer during your last bottling session.

Back