Please help, first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azores

Reaction score
I am brewing my first beer which is a lager. I am brewing a Muntons Pilsner with Mutons beer kit enhancer and saflager S-23. It has been in fermenting for two weeks in the fermenting bucket inside a fridge withe temperature controller I adapted. I am fermenting at 12 Celsius(54 degrees Fahrenheit). My question: I don't have a secondary bucket, only have a bottling bucket. Can I lager in the fermenting bucket? When should I lower the temperature? What temperature should I lower it to? How long do I keep it in the bucket before bottling?

Thanks for your time.
Paulo from AZORES.

I would rack it off the yeast into a sanitized bottling bucket, clean / sanitize the primary fermenter and rack it back into there for lagering. Lager only after you've hit your final gravity, you may want to raise the temperature a few degrees for a diacetyl rest and to hit your final gravity. Lower it close to freezing, lager it for 4-6 weeks, then bottle at room temperature.

I don't typically rack off I the yeast in a 5 gallon batch that I'm doing a 4week or less lager on. Autolysis risk is rare in small batches and I'd rather risk it than oxidize the beer by transferring it twice. (Not to mention the extra work of sanitizing/cleaning additional stuff)

I agree with the above schedule though. Definitely raise the temp for a few days toward the end of fermentation for a d-rest then drop it to near freezing to lager.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If I didn't have a carboy, I'd simply lager in the bottle. Lots of people do, and it works great.

Bottle after the diacetyl rest, and keep the beer at room temperature for a couple of weeks to carb up, and then stick in a fridge for 6 weeks. Easy, and no chance of oxidation or infection.

Thanks a lot for all your help. I live in an island with only 9000 people. No one here makes homebrew beer, I will be the first. I have no one to ask for help here. Wednesday will make 3 weeks of fermentation. Today it is still fermenting but very little bubble rate.

Lets see if I have it right.
1. Wait for the bubbling to stop (end of fermentation).
2. Take a gravity measurement.
3. Rise the temperature to room temperature for a couple of days.
4. Bottle and prime with sugar.
5. Put bottles in the fridge at low temperature 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Drink my beer with friends at Christmas and get a hangover.

Please respond again.
Paulo from Azores.
Sorry for my bad English

Just remember to leave your bottles at room temperature for about 3 weeks to carb up before putting in the fridge.

Thanks a lot for all your help. I live in an island with only 9000 people. No one here makes homebrew beer, I will be the first. I have no one to ask for help here. Wednesday will make 3 weeks of fermentation. Today it is still fermenting but very little bubble rate.

Lets see if I have it right.
1. Wait for the bubbling to stop (end of fermentation).
2. Take a gravity measurement.
3. Rise the temperature to room temperature for a couple of days.
4. Bottle and prime with sugar.
5. Put bottles in the fridge at low temperature 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Drink my beer with friends at Christmas and get a hangover.

Please respond again.
Paulo from Azores.
Sorry for my bad English

1. Take a gravity measurement. Bubbles mean nothing, and if it's been fermenting for three weeks, it's got to be done or close.
2. Raise the temperature when the reading is 1.020 or below (don't wait for it to stop).
3. Prime and bottle
4. Let sit at room temperature. That's important, if you want carbonated beer. It will only carb up out of the fridge.
5. After sitting at room temperature 3 weeks, put it in the fridge for lagering.

Thanks a lot for all replys. I will do exactly as you say Yooper.
One last question: Lager at what temperature?

Thanks a lot for all replys. I will do exactly as you say Yooper.
One last question: Lager at what temperature?

Lager in your refrigerator. Mine is 39 degrees, but I prefer colder for lagering if you can do that. Anywhere from 32-24 degrees is ideal, but I do it warmer if I don't have another place except for my main beer fridge at 39 degrees.

Thanks again Yooper.
Last night I measured the gravity like you said. I started at 1038, now I have 1011,5.
So I primed and bottled. Now I will Wait 3 weeks at room temperture. Then I will lager.

I will share some pictures of items I made for homebrewing.
Photo 1. Old cafe shop fridge that was giving to me, had compressor motor burnt up, added a used motor and temperture controller STC-1000.
Photo2,3. I made a bottle rack rinser in white plexiglass, made with my homemade CNC machine.
Photo4,5,6. Homemade bottle washer, used dishwasher motor, cooper tubbing, plastic box, has a powerful jets.

Once again thanks for all that have helped.

Paulo from Sao Jorge Island, Azores

IMG_20141017_203633.jpg

IMG_20141017_203602.jpg

IMG_20141017_203531.jpg

IMG_20141017_203508.jpg

IMG_20141018_131632.jpg

IMG_20141017_131109.jpg

Wow- that's awesome! I don't have mechanical skills, so I always admire those who can built such great things. I'm jealous.

What are you making for your next batch?

I would Like to make a black beer (ale). I have to order from the mainland (Portugal) and it takes about two weeks. I dont know what to buy because there are many kits to choose. They sell Muntons and Brewferm kits. I will ask the seller for advice.

Photo 1. Old cafe shop fridge that was giving to me, had compressor motor burnt up, added a used motor and temperture controller STC-1000.
236071d1416055261-please-help-first-lager-img_20141017_203633.jpg

Photo2,3. I made a bottle rack rinser in white plexiglass, made with my homemade CNC machine.
236073d1416055670-please-help-first-lager-img_20141017_203602.jpg

236074d1416055670-please-help-first-lager-img_20141017_203531.jpg

Photo4,5,6. Homemade bottle washer, used dishwasher motor, cooper tubbing, plastic box, has a powerful jets.
236075d1416055670-please-help-first-lager-img_20141017_203508.jpg

236076d1416055670-please-help-first-lager-img_20141018_131632.jpg

236077d1416055670-please-help-first-lager-img_20141017_131109.jpg

To help everyone see the pictures.

Yes the table is solid grain pine wood.
When I made my second garagem, I made a room under the garagem with 45 x 16 feet, with a kitchen and bathroom. I rarely use this space, now it is my beer space.

I have na idea, get a small bottle and put a pressure gauge, so I can see if the beer is carbenating after bottled. There is no way to know if the beer is carbinating after bottling?
Do you guys think my ideia will work?

Sorry for my bad English.

Latest posts

Back