Please Have a Look at This Nut Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
First try at a Brown Ale. I've been wanting to try my hand at some late hop additions but not sure if it is a good idea for this style or not. Looking for a hoppier version but don't want the malt to take too much of a back seat.

Looking to mash at about 158* Batch Sparge.

Recipe is based on a certain multi award winning brewers version.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Nut Brown #1
Brewer: Redweasel
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 18.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.48 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.19 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.19 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.95 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.60 %
4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.60 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 22.6 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (1 min) Hops 2.0 IBU

I may be crazy, but shouldn't there be some kind of bittering(60min) hops?

That is what I'm talking about with the late hop addition. I'm thinking about trying to get all my bitterness late in the boil. In theory it is supposed to cut down the harshness of 60 min hops. I just don't know if it will work or not.

That is what I'm talking about with the late hop addition. I'm thinking about trying to get all my bitterness late in the boil. In theory it is supposed to cut down the harshness of 60 min hops. I just don't know if it will work or not.

The late hop addition method is intended to get as much hop aroma and flavor into the beer as possible.

Unless you want a lot of hop flavor and aroma in this beer, stick to the normal 60 min bittering addition.

I would not mind having a ton of hop flavor and aroma. The big question is if I will get enough bitterness this way. I'm more than willing to adjust my schedule and amounts if needed.

the problem is, i wouldn't want that much hop flavor and aroma in a nut brown.

i'd try this method with a pale or IPA recipe.

you're mashing pretty high, what yeast are you using?

If you are not going to go with a 60 minute addition, there is no need to boil for 60 minutes and just add the other additions at 15 and so on. Just boil for the short amount of time.

One other point, have you considered first wort hopping or adding hops to the mash?

If you are not going to go with a 60 minute addition, there is no need to boil for 60 minutes and just add the other additions at 15 and so on. Just boil for the short amount of time.

If you do that be sure to adjust your pre-boil volume to match, as you'll have less boil off. Less pre-boil volume may mean lower efficiency as well.

If it were me doing a late hop addition, I'd still do a 60 minute boil because then I wouldn't have to change my process at all. Just drop the hops in later as per the recipe.

... The big question is if I will get enough bitterness this way. I'm more than willing to adjust my schedule and amounts if needed.

According to the recipe you posted you are getting 36.5 IBU. If that is not enough just add more hops at the 20 and/or 15 minute additions.

One other point, have you considered first wort hopping or adding hops to the mash?

Yeah, I don't really mind a 60 min boil and I actually like to go 90 for DMS purposes so I think I'll stick with 60. I use FWH in my house ale. That is what got me thinking about doing all late additions.

Looking at Beersmith this will give me a IBU/SG ratio of 0.686
My APA comes in at 0.721 and it is pretty hoppy.

Getting pretty excited to try this technique. Should be interesting.

Latest posts

Back