Please Critique my American Brown Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltnHops

Reaction score
I'm going for a chocolaty brown ale here.

OG: 1.059
Est. FG: 1.015
IBU: 30.5
SRM: 26.3

American Brown Ale

10.00 lbs. American Pale
12.00 oz. Crystal 75L
10.00 oz. Chocolate Malt
4.00 oz. Honey Malt

0.50 oz. Magnum @ 60 min (14.1 AA)
1.00 oz. Cascade @ 15 min (6.4AA)

5.2 Stabilizer
Yeast Nutrient
Whirlflock

US-05

Mash at 154

Grain bill looks similar to one of my browns. I usually run with northern brewer and Fuggles/Willamette. Gives em a nice earthy, woody aroma/flavor. I'm a pretty big fan of Willamette actually.

what is the purpose of the 4oz of honey malt? I don't think such a small addition will really impact the flavor with as much chocolate and dark crystal as you have in there.

Grain bill looks similar to one of my browns. I usually run with northern brewer and Fuggles/Willamette. Gives em a nice earthy, woody aroma/flavor. I'm a pretty big fan of Willamette actually.

The only hops I currently have are Magnum, Chinook and Cascade though, so I was trying to avoid going to the store.

I've decided to add an additional 4 oz. of honey malt and 4 oz. of Belgian Biscuit malt. I'll be brewing tomorrow, so let me know if anyone has any comments.

Back