Please critique my AG American Wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethlovex

Reaction score
So I'm sort of borrowing from several different recipes, 5 gal post boil

5# 2 Row
5# Wheat malt
1# flaked wheat
1# flaked oats
12oz Orange blossom honey

60 min Mash at 154

1 oz 3.1 AA Hallertau FWH
1 oz 3.1 AA Hallertau @ 5min

1L starter with WL 001 or 550

I have a few questions:
1) Should I reduce/eliminate the oats
2) Do I really need aroma hops? Maybe dry hop instead?
3) I know I could use a hefeweizen ale yeast but I already have the other 2 in my fridge
4) SWMBO wants raspberry and/or blueberry wheat. Im thinking racking a portion over 1 .5 # frozen pasteurized raspberries per gallon and 2 # frozen pasteurized blueberries per gallon. Do these ratios sound OK?

Thanks in advance.:mug::rockin:

It's not really an American wheat with the 550 or a Hefe yeast, but it doesn't mean it won't taste good.

I'm thinking that with all the wheat, a pound of oats might leave you with a very chewy beer.

You don't "need" aroma hops...but don't you want it?

I don't know much about fruit.

I'd say no oats are needed. If you use one of the two yeasts you have on hand it'd be the WLP 550 and you'll have some strong wheat saison but then that's not an American Wheat. If you want this to be an American Wheat Hefeweizen I'd suck it up and buy some WLP 320 or if you don't want a hefeweizen, I'd get Wyeast 1010. It's probably a fairly high alcohol version of an American wheat at that. I can't comment on the berry additions. I do know that with berry extracts from the homebrew shop, adding 1-1.5 bottles will give you the berry flavor you may want.

Raspberries are kind of potent, you might want to go more like 0.5 lb/gallon with those. No experience with blueberries but I hear they are pretty mild so 2 lb per gallon is probably about right. WL001 will work just fine for an American wheat, or alternatively the 320 or wyeast 1010 as mentioned (I think those two might be the same strain - per mrmalty used by Widmer).

Thanks everyone. So now I think I won't use the oats and will try the 001. I really like the 550 in other things ive brewed. Now im starting to get crazy but what if I added some more 2 row and did a double yeast fermentation a la le freak by green flash? I wonder if it would taste horrible

Back