Plastic Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
recently split a batch- 3 gallons left alone as a blonde ale, and almost 2 gallons i added 1.5-2 lbs. fresh strawberries to two 1 gallon jugs and let ferment another week. I did pasteurize strawberries after coring them by placing them in hot water (170-180*F) for 10 minutes, unfortunately it came to a small boil for the last few minutes as i became sidetracked...i added the mixture (water included) to the gallon jugs and racked the remaining blonde ale onto the fruit /water mix again for 5 days, then primed and bottled. The blonde (sans fruit) is absolutely AWESOME. The strawberry blonde has a very pronounced plastic taste AND smell, not necessarily band aid. Almost like burning plastic- anyone ever have a plastic container (or anything plastic) close to a heating element and it starts giving off that smell, like plastic burning in a dishwasher- that's exactly it! strawberry is very subdued, even too subdued, and added little to no color. Any ideas what went wrong? I don't think it's anything before i bottled the initial batch of blonde 'cuz there is nothing wrong with that.

I think you let it aerate too much in the transition to the strawberry fermenter. You want to limit the amount of oxygen exposure once it's fermented.

I could be wrong, though.

Back