Plastic Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
Do you think a plastic bucket would work as a secondary? I wouldn't want to leave it in there more than a few weeks. Other than the excessive head space I can't see any problems. Is there something I'm missing?

Not a problem at all! Plenty of people do that. Just remember to keep it sealed with an air lock (create your own if you need to, It'll only take a minute or two) and you will need to use a racking cane or a similar styled syphon to bottle it but in answer to your question...Go for it, Plastic buckets are fine but make sure its made of food gade plastic.

Brew on , Brew strong , Brew on

As long as it's the same type of bucket you use as a primary there should be no reason why you can't use it.

A lot of the early kits started out w/2 plastic buckets before the push for a carboy as a secondary.

catfish said:
How long have you left something in a plastic fermenter... intentionally?

4 months, but I dont think you should leave it that long because the bucket will oxidize your beer over long period of time. I had a stout in the bucket so I think the strongl flavors probably hid the taste. I you want to leave it for a long period of time, use a carboy. Had a Wheat beer in a carboy for 5 months and no problems.

If for some reason you can't use a glass carboy then add some ascorbic acid; 1/2 tsp for 5g.

I left an pils recipe with ale yeast in a white plastic carboy for 5 months once and it tasted fine, but I was probably lucky. Those thinck white plastic carboy look like they should be rather porus.
I use glass and have 2 plastic 5g water bottle/carboys I use for backups. ie, brewing faster than my carboy supply will allow. I usually rack from the plastic into glass once I've bottled their contents.

Back