Plastic Sanke from Miller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClutchDude

Reaction score
First off I feel stupid for not grabbing picture of it.

I was at a wedding this weekend and saw three miller lite 1/2 bbl kegs. Two were stainless steel but one was entirely plastic it seemed. It was not rubberized in any way.

Has anyone seen something like these?

Yes, those are pretty standard if you are thinking of what we have up here. The ones I have seen are a plastic or hard rubber coated stainless keg. They use the a lot on college campuses because they last longer and stand up better to the abuse they receive at underage kegger parties.

I think when I go to and electric HLT I will look into one of these... maybe

Was it black? Something like this:

plus%20kegs%20lrg.jpg

Possibly. Not nearly as shiny. I think the top, around the handles, it was flat rather than rounded.

Yeah, I think I've seen those too. We have two restaurants in our building and they store all the empty kegs in the trash room. From time to time I see some non stainless kegs down there.

Given the current theft rate for SS kegs, we'll see more plastic. Most thieves are probably too stupid to notice the difference and will steal them anyway, but plastic is cheaper.

They are stainless on the inside. It is just a protective coating over a SS keg. I am picking up another one this weekend. You have to give them a little longer to cool, but they also don't heat up as fast at a keg party.

Exactly what I saw Xumbi. Thanks
Got the barkeeps to let me take a quick look at it.

:off: They were using possibly the worst hand tap ever. It just pressed down the ball valve, and clamped it (rather than actually "tap" it). It took one guy to press it down as hard as possible and another to clamp it to seal it enough.

ClutchDude said:
Exactly what I saw Xumbi. Thanks
Got the barkeeps to let me take a quick look at it.

:off: They were using possibly the worst hand tap ever. It just pressed down the ball valve, and clamped it (rather than actually "tap" it). It took one guy to press it down as hard as possible and another to clamp it to seal it enough.
Ah cool. I'm hoping to use it as a fermenter, once I move to 10 gallon batches...

Anyone know if the coating is removable?... or should I forget about using a such keg to convert it as a keggle?

Yeah there's another thread floating around where someone tore the coating off....Do a search on plastic Kegs...two of the threads are about actual plastic kegs, and one of the threads iirc was like this one, except someone posted a stripped out pic of one.

Since I am heating with electric - I would love to see one of these for my mash tun as once warmed up it would hold the heat much better than just the stainless keg.

Linc

Back