Soldering 2" and 4" Triclamp Ports into 15 Gallon Sanke Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackerelQ

Reaction score
Hello all, I want to solder in a 2" TC element port and a 4" TC cleaning port into my 15 gallon sanke keg. I have two areas of question/concern.

1. I am going to buy and use the 2" TC pull through tool from BrewHardware to install the 2" element port via silver soldering. I've not drilled or cut into a keg before, but it feels like it could be much thicker steel than the walls of a standard kettle. @Bobby_M says in the description of the tool to use a 40mm hole saw, but my concern is that if the steel is thicker than usual would a larger hole saw, say 42 or 44mm be more appropriate? If anyone has done this before, could you please share your guidance/experience? I have read a few HBT threads where a larger saw was hypothesized to alleviate issues like splitting.

2. I am going to install a 4" TC ferrule into the side wall of the keg. The only method I have at my disposal is silver soldering. I have seen a fairly recent video, , where they do the same. As I have not seen a dimpling tool for a 4" TC, I believe I am left with two options:

Option 1: Use a 100mm carbide hole saw and insert the ferrule as tightly as possible into the hole (as seen in the video) and silver solder
Option 2: Use a 95mm carbide hole saw and attempt some way to manually dimple the hole the best I can then silver solder.

One of my questions is: When using a carbide hole saw, does the hole come out exactly the sane size of the saw, or is it bigger (like 1/16" bigger) after cutting and cleanup?

Another question is: Are the walls of a sanke keg actually that much thicker or is it just how it seems from the outside?

I know that silver soldering the 4" TC is not the easiest or most recommended thing due to the lack of an easily accessible dimpling tool and most of the threads I've read have advised against it, but I am going to do it. The linked video shows it can be done. Could someone or several someone's please help me figure out the best method to do this utilizing what I have at my disposal and please, if at all possible, try to refrain from the typical "why are you doing that" and "I would do it differently" responses. I'm not sure why people respond like that, it's really not helpful and I will not be deterred.

Cheers everyone and thanks in advance!

I don't have anything helpful to say because I have no experience with silver soldering ss but I do have a keg that I have been thinking about doing the same thing with so please post your methods and results back.

I typed a bunch of stuff but then I read the following and decided to delete it all.
if at all possible, try to refrain from the typical "why are you doing that" and "I would do it differently" responses. I'm not sure why people respond like that, it's really not helpful and I will not be deterred.

The process in the video was Silver Brazing and for anything bigger than 2" TC, I'd definitely go that way. Harris Stay-Silv is that product.

I typed a bunch of stuff but then I read the following and decided to delete it all.

The process in the video was Silver Brazing and for anything bigger than 2" TC, I'd definitely go that way. Harris Stay-Silv is that product.
@Bobby_M, as always a gentleman and a scholar. I'll definitely look up the process of silver brazing. I know what I am attempting goes against your better judgement/advice, but do you have any feelings on whether I should try to do a drop-in vs. manually dimpling?

Kegs have a pretty hefty wall so you'd need something like a 3/4" grade 8 bolt to dimple something that big (or use a press of some sort). I would just focus on getting the tightest slip fit you can get away with.

Kegs have a pretty hefty wall so you'd need something like a 3/4" grade 8 bolt to dimple something that big (or use a press of some sort). I would just focus on getting the tightest slip fit you can get away with.
Thanks again, @Bobby_M. Since the keg has that hefty wall, would you still suggest a 40mm initial hole for the 2" pull through or do you think 42 or 44mm would possibly work better?

Ask your local metal workshops if they have (A) a Plasma Cutter, hand held (B) a T.I.G welder

With those two tools a simple and quick job - opposite to what you are trying to do :cool:

Ask your local metal workshops if they have (A) a Plasma Cutter, hand held (B) a T.I.G welder

With those two tools a simple and quick job - opposite to what you are trying to do :cool:
Thank you for this "I would do it differently" response.

Back