plastic pop bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggs

Reaction score
hi all, new to brewing, iv been using 2 litre pop bottles with my first brew attempt and seemed to work fine, though they got really hard and i was afraid they would burst!! they were fine, my question is, can i re use these old pop bottles or will they be weaker now they have been used once by companies for lilt and dr pepper and then by me once for beer!!! will they last again and again?? any advice will be helpful!!! :mug:

You can absolutely reuse pop bottles. They will get hard, but there will be nowhere near enough pressure to burst them, ever. Quite a few people use them or buy amber colored plastic bottles for their beer.

Use them and don't be afraid, Padawan brewer. They will hold a lot of pressure, as they're engineered to withstand a drop on the floor and not explode.

You can use them over and over also. Just make sure you sanitize them properly. The fact that they get hard makes it easy to tell if you're carbonated or not.

You can reuse them several times without issue. The only downside is that once you crack the seal on a 2 liter bottle of beer, it's going to go flat quick if you don't finish it in one sitting. Not a problem for a heavy drinker to drink ~4 pints at a time, but I like to have just one or two glasses during the week.

so no more saving the dam things then? i can use them again once iv drank all the beer? :)

lol! i will keep that in mind! thanks for the advice all! iv only been putting 3 pints in one bottle so not a prob with the fizz going! 3 pints gone in an hour on the weekend! ;)

I have about 2 gallons worth of 1 liter PET bottles, and to be honest, they're probably my favorite bottles. They're crazy easy to cap, and they're the perfect size for a work day.

They will be fine to re-use. If your looking to upgrade take your time and shop online (craigslist/ebay). I also got some really nice bottles from a sale at my local HB shop. I recommend grolsh bottles and swivel caps.

Been using the same 2 liter pop bottles for almost 3 years now. They're great except that once opened, they will lose their carbonation quickly. I drink about 2 glasses a day and more on my days off so it's not much of a problem for me.

I think I read somewhere that the pop that was once in them was under about 65 psi of pressure, but not sure about that. I've never had a problem of having one explode using the proper amount of priming sugar.

Been using the same 2 liter pop bottles for almost 3 years now. They're great except that once opened, they will lose their carbonation quickly. I drink about 2 glasses a day and more on my days off so it's not much of a problem for me.

I think I read somewhere that the pop that was once in them was under about 65 psi of pressure, but not sure about that. I've never had a problem of having one explode using the proper amount of priming sugar.

I will tell you from personal experience that a 2 liter bottle can withstand at least 150 PSI of air pressure. I really don't know how much is in a bottle of beer but 150 is a LOT. 1 liter bottles can hold even more.

I will tell you from personal experience that a 2 liter bottle can withstand at least 150 PSI of air pressure. I really don't know how much is in a bottle of beer but 150 is a LOT. 1 liter bottles can hold even more.

I let a 2L bottle of root beer (champagne yeast) carb for about 2mos in the bomb shelter.

By the end of it the bottle was so swollen that the bottom was rounded and it would not stand up on its own. And the top of the lid was bowed out. Sweet jayzus. How high does the pressure how to be before the lid has bowed upward?

Amazing. Would have been fun to shoot it.

Back