Planting orientation of Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
I will be planting hops in a small canyon on my property here in So Cal.

I have a 1/2 wire cable that I will stretch from the sides of the canyon and secure with deadmans. One side will have a winch so I can lower the cable for harvest.

I can set this cable at any height.. I'm thinking 12-15' above the ground.

I believe I read that the hops row should be facing South for best growth. This means I should dial in this cable true East-West orientation. Right?

Since this is a small canyon, It will get some shade. I can plant to get the most form the morning sun or evening sun. Which is bettor? I'm thinking of favoring the morning sun.

My summer temps are 60º lows and 95º highs on average.

Once I set these concrete deadmans, I really don't want to have to move them.

Set you cable around 20' if you can. For a single row of plants, the orientation doesn't matter much.

North/South rows would be best. If you do East/West each plant will shade the one right next to it as the sun rises and then sets. Typically the spacing between plants is closer within a row, than between rows. As far as which side of the canyon, it depends on which direction the canyon goes. If the canyon runs East/West, then the North facing side probably be a little more moist if that is a concern. If the canyon runs North/South, then I'd be tempted to put them on the morning sun side so the plants dry off quicker which will help to limit diseases.

The canyon runs Kinda North South.

I can run the cable skewed a little NorthEast to SouthWest sun the bines are not shading each other in the morning sun. Mid-day of course this is not a problem. Late afternoon, they may shade each other a bit.

I can run the cable 20' high. Should have no problem with future growth height.

I will set up drip irrigation as it gets very dry where I live.

Thanx for all the good advice.

I am planning to arrange my plants in a semi circle on the south side of my home, all the wires connecting at a central point... looking like half a teepee. I really dont have any other AWESOME way of doing it, while still getting the plants into the southern sun exposure.

I have not purchased yet. I'm thinking of freshops and getting 6 varieties.
I notice their website is taking orders. How long from purchase to shipment receipt from freshops?

I would hate to get them before my cable is up and ready.

Back