Planted rhizomes 3 weeks ago, no activity, should I worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinderbike

Reaction score
Planted 1 Cascade and 1 Centennial rhizome on April 15th. I planted them in a 30% native soil (mostly sand) 30% potting soil mix about 2" deep.

I don't think the rhizomes dried out before planting, and I haven't seen them sprout yet. I'm at a high elevation, so it's been averaging ~70°F in the day and 40°ish at night.

It was probably a bad idea, but I dug one of them up last weekend and it looked like there were buds on it, but they were little white bumps still, just like when I received them.

Are they dead?

I would I have left them be. It took about a month for my Centennial to sprout, while some of the others sprouted after only two weeks. Give it time, give them a good watering if they haven't had rain in a while, and maybe think of picking up a fertilizer. I have not used fertilizer yet, so I am not sure on the correct ratios to use, but other people on here have that information.

I planted 5 different varieties and 4 have come up, all at different times spaced over 4 weeks. I wouldn't worry about it if they still have eyes...just give them time and keep the ground moist but not wet.

I planted 2 rhizomes per mound and my Columbus was first to pop up. 4 weeks+ later, a second Columbus bine from the other rhizome popped up. My Mt. Hood was the next to last to pop up and it is now twice as tall as the closest bine.

I wouldnt worry about it. From what I have been reading lately (Im new to growing too) you're not going to get much out of it the first year besides root growth. So just be patient and let them do there thing.

I planted four rhizomes about three weeks ago. Two have sprouted leaves and the other have nothing. I saw the first sprout after about 8-9 days. My temps are the same as yours. I'm at 6400 ft in AZ white mountains.

i planted 2 cascades and one magnum, after 10 days magnum was breaking the soil but no sign of life from cascade, now its over 5 weeks and im getting new cascade in the mail because the old one is presumably dead

Planted 1 Cascade and 1 Centennial rhizome on April 15th. I planted them in a 30% native soil (mostly sand) 30% potting soil mix about 2" deep.

I don't think the rhizomes dried out before planting, and I haven't seen them sprout yet. I'm at a high elevation, so it's been averaging ~70°F in the day and 40°ish at night.

It was probably a bad idea, but I dug one of them up last weekend and it looked like there were buds on it, but they were little white bumps still, just like when I received them.

Are they dead?

Yes. And worry more if they do not come up by September of 2012.

it took a little while for all of mine to come up. My Glacier came up first and is doing very well. then centennial it too is doing well. My Willamette took the longest time to break ground and is about a fifth the size of the others. You might have set your roots a bit deep so extra time may be needed.

If they are not already this way, I'd move them to just below the surface and top with 1/2" soil. Then keep moist.

Back