Plans for Smaller Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sequoiacider

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages of a keezer build. Space is a concern, so I am hoping to build it into a 3.5Cuft Arctic King chest freezer if possible, though I am considering a 5.0Cuft model if the 3.5 won't cut it. I have found the outside dimension measurements of the freezers online, but I cannot seem to find the inside measurements anywhere. Has anyone used one of these for a keezer?

I intend to add a collar to add extra height. I am hoping to fit two 5 Gallon Cornys and one 3 Gallon, along with a 5lb co2 tank. Anyone know if all that can be squeezed into the 3.5 or the 5.0?

If you want small but need space...I would recommend trying to find an older 5CF type on CL or FB...you will have to do some work to make the outside look nice but they are much more efficient space wise.

Why? some of the older chest freezers used a more compact compressor compartment only taking up one corner and not an entire side. I had a 5CF Roper (GE) in the mid 90s that was 24'X24" outside and would hold 3 kegs and a 5# CO2 or 2 kegs plus a 20# tank inside with no collar needed. I have a "newer" old 5CF Danby with the same inside.

All the new freezers seem to be much narrower front to back and have a huge "shelf" inside.

IMG_6546.JPG

Thanks, that picture really helps me to visualize the space. I also found the "Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts" sticky on the kegging section of the forum, which was quite helpful (it seems that thread should also be stickied here). It definitely looks like a 5Cuft is the way to go if I want to get 3 kegs to fit. I'm hoping to find one of the older style with the smaller hump, but since I have some 3 gallon kegs I can use those on the hump if I can only find the modern version.

Go bigger if you can find the space. I can fit 4 kegs barely, and by the time you run adequately long lines, getting kegs in and out is a pain. I store a lot of my brewing gear on top of my keezer, because it is rare to actually open it.

Back