Places to Buy used sanke kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
What places in your area sell these? How much? Wondering because I do 10 gallon batches and have to split wort into two kettles.
Thanks

Craigslist dude, that's so far been the only real option. If you know anyone in the bar/restaurant industry then you can try to see if they can help you get a keg. Or hold a big party, rent a keg, kick it, and keep it. You won't be able to get one and save it for long because when you pump O2 into it it will oxidize.

I was able to get all 3 of mine for 50 each. One had the top already cut off, other two didn't. But that still beats online prices by a LONGSHOT.

This always turned into a beer mortality issue, you see the $50.00 you put down on a keg does NOT cover the cost of the keg, in fact the keg is owned by that brewery, if you keep it and hack it up for a brew kettle it's destruction of property.

Now what do you do when a beer distributor will not take a keg back? I my case I had two Kegs that I tried like hell to give back but the beer distributor would not take them, I'm NOT mailing them back the Germany, so I kept them and turned them into kettles.

I guess what I'm saying is try like hell NOT to purchase a keg of beer and not return it when empty, put your self in the breweries spot, a new keg is like $150-200. Breweries will decommission old kegs, sometimes they can be purchased through a beer distributor, also one of the big home brew stores online has in the past sold used decommissioned kegs.

Craig's list is a good place to look, you can find some for a good deal, while they are probably not decommissioned it's still better than steeling one from a brewery.

In my Honest opinion there are much better kettles then kegs, kegs are not designed to heat liquids and as such the bottoms are ill suited for efficient heat distribution. A quality kettle will have a Flat triclad bottom, this type of bottom will heat more even and efficiently. Honestly if I could redo my brew rig I would have saved up for real kettles rather than cutting up kegs.

In the end do what you feel is right for you, I hope I have provided some helpful insight and not sounded like too much of a finger pointing weenie.

Take care

I have a connection here in indiana for monarch beverage (one of the largest Miller coors disributers in the us)
I have bought two kegs from him. Its doing them a favor, they have some they cant accept back and its a pain and so I was able to buy them. 1/6 barrel also.

Shipping is always a concern, 30-50 shipping depending.

Stout makes some amazing kettles and from all the reviews they are of good quality. Again from now on any kettles for my brewing adventures will be real kettles, they are just better....in my opinion that is...hahaha.

Once every so often beverage factory will do a 10% or 20% off sale on eBay, they have free shipping as well. They had the best price I could find on 1/4 barrel slim kegs.

Call your area beer distributor. Sometimes they retire kegs that have too many dents, etc. Don't do the thing where you buy a keg of beer, drink it and keep the keg. That keg cost the brewery much more than the deposit you paid. Do the right thing and stay legit. We homebrewers don't need any more image problems.

You could also try calling some area microbreweries and see if they have any kegs they want to retire. Scrap yards may occasionally get some kegs, too.

Craigslist. If your lucky and find it before anyone else, there are people out there dumping them cheap. I just got four (4) 1/2bbl and two (2) sixtels for $60 total.

Latest posts

Back