Placement of recirculation port on keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
I currently have a single-vessel electric BIAB system. I just purchased a March pump so that I can recirculate both during the mash (to keep an accurate temp throught the mash) and to whirlpool while chilling using my IC. I also picked up the whirlpool fitting from Bargain Fittings http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=151. My question is, since I BIAB and disturbing the grainbed isn't and issue, where would the best placement of this port be? Under the liquid line or above? Is there any pros/cons to the placement, or does it even matter? Here's a picture of my current setup in case it helps.

DSCN1030.JPG

In my opinion, under the liquid line is a better option so you cut down on oxygen uptake. You would still want to have it toward the top of the liquid though since you want it to mix throughout the whole mash.

The problem with using it as a whirlpool too, is that a whirlpool should idealy be 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of your kettle. This will give you the best whirlpool properties.

In my opinion, under the liquid line is a better option so you cut down on oxygen uptake. You would still want to have it toward the top of the liquid though since you want it to mix throughout the whole mash.

The problem with using it as a whirlpool too, is that a whirlpool should idealy be 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of your kettle. This will give you the best whirlpool properties.

My main thing with the whirlpool is just to get the wort recirculated over the IC coils, helping to cool it down faster. I would think that as long as I have some motion, this should work ok.

My main thing with the whirlpool is just to get the wort recirculated over the IC coils, helping to cool it down faster. I would think that as long as I have some motion, this should work ok.

If that's your goal, then it's' not really a whirlpool you're after. As long as you don't care about a nicely formed trub cone when you're finished cooling, then I'd just put it about 2/3's of the way up your kettle. This is assuming you're doing 10 gallon batches. If you're doing 5, then you probably want to put it at the halfway mark.

If that's your goal, then it's' not really a whirlpool you're after. As long as you don't care about a nicely formed trub cone when you're finished cooling, then I'd just put it about 2/3's of the way up your kettle. This is assuming you're doing 10 gallon batches. If you're doing 5, then you probably want to put it at the halfway mark.

Thanks for the input. I generally only do 5 gal. batches. After studying my options for a bit, I decided to put it down low, around the same height up as my pickup valve. Hopefully this will end up working out ok. I'll post a pic or two when I get everything put back together.

Now, for my next question. I previously had the keggle wrapped with a couple of layers of reflectix. Now that I'm doing a recirc during the mash, is it really necessary to insulate the keggle? The PID in my control panel should regulate the temp and with the recirc, so I'd think I should be able to maintain a nice accurate temp. If the reflectix no longer serves any benefit, I'd just assume ditch it completely since it makes it a little more difficult to clean.

I don't use any form of insulation on my system, and it works out fine. I'm direct firing though, not electric. I wouldn't think you'd have an issue if you've got it hooked up to temp control.

Back