Pizza Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manortc

Reaction score
I found the following recipe at byo.com. Anyone ever try it? Was thinking about trying a small batch of it. Had someone suggest adding tomato paste to it, but I'm not a fan of tomato in beer. If I get brave and try it, I may split the secondary and add the tomato paste.

Ingredients:

2 lbs. two-row pale malt
1 lb. amber malt (or brown malt)
1 lb. medium crystal malt, 40° to 60° Lovibond
4 lbs. unhopped amber dry malt extract
1 oz. Willamette hop pellets (5% alpha acid), for 60 min.
2 small cloves (not whole heads, please!) fresh minced garlic
1 very small dried chili pepper (ancho, habañero, tabasco)
20 or 30 fresh whole fennel seeds
A pinch each of dried (not ground) oregano, basil, thyme. Other favorite pizza spices may be added.

The link to the recipe: http://***********/component/resource/article/Indices/51-Recipe Exchange/1255-pizza-ale

I don't get the cloves, what are they doing in pizza??? I would add another pinch or two of oregano and ditch the cloves.

You might want to assemble a small amount of the spices and boil to make a tea. Then add the tea to a beer you're drinking and see how you like it (or not).

It's cloves of Garlic. I just copied an pasted the recipe. The way it's written does make it look like cloves and not cloves of garlic. I agree though, cloves are not for pizza beer.

Ahhh, cloves of garlic are fine, my bad on that one. 2 cloves of garlic would definitely keep the vampires away, that's a lot. I still think making a tea with the spices and garlic would be a good way to proceed.

I like the tea idea to try it. Will find a decent amber ale to add the spices to and see how it turns out.

Back