Piwo Grodziskie time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
There's a local homebrew competition at the end of the month, and I want to enter something. The stuff I have on tap right now isn't fresh enough IMO.l, but I'm gonna be brewing on 22nd. Beers have to be turned in by the 30th. I've been wanting to try brewing a piwo grodiziskie but wondering if it is even possible to turn one around in 8 days. I've never tried to finish a beer that quick. I generally don't like the idea, but I thought with such a low ABV beer it might be possible. Any ideas?

I made one not too long ago. It is possible, but you will be hard pressed to get it cleared in that time. Pay attention to the "Appearance" portion of the guidelines. On the plus side, there probably won't be many other entries for that style. Enjoy.

Here's a pic of mine I recently did. It's been in the keg a few weeks. These can definitely be quick turnaround beers. The only thing I would be concerned with is the crystal clear clarity they're supposed to have, which for me has taken some time chilling in the keg.
20181208_204634.jpeg

Here's a pic of mine I recently did. It's been in the keg a few weeks. These can definitely be quick turnaround beers. The only thing I would be concerned with is the crystal clear clarity they're supposed to have, which for me has taken some time chilling in the keg. View attachment 601723
That looks amazin btw

Well, I think I'd rather just wait and brew it right, then rush it for whatever reason. Thanks for the help.

NEIPA can be made grain to glass in 8 days using London ale III. Also Kviek yeast finishes in about 3 days- and people make all kinds of styles with it. Kviek spruce beers are wonderful!

That's funny you mention kviek. I've also been planning on brewing elderflower kviek. Not that that's a "real" style, but could always enter it under specialty beer I guess.

I think I might just enter something that I already have ready despite the lack of freshness. Its put on every year by a local brewery, and I'd at least like to support the event and be involved. I just dont want to rush something, and then end up with a whole batch of not great beer.

I brewed a Piwo with Imperial Loki and it finished fermenting in less than 12 hours. 1.032 to 1.008, kegged on day 2, fined with gelatine, and nearly crystal clear at about 10 days. Did very well in a recent competition, outscoring barley wines and wood-aged beers (smoked/wood/imperial grouping). There was no mention of any weird yeast flavors; it turned out very clean.

Last edited:
I brewed a Piwo with Imperial Loki and it finished fermenting in less than 12 hours. 1.032 to 1.008, kegged on day 2, fined with gelatine, and nearly crystal clear at about 10 days. Did very well in a recent competition, outscoring barley wines and wood-aged beers (smoked/wood/imperial grouping). There was no mention of any weird yeast flavors; it turned out very clean.
I just pitched some Loki into an elderflower blonde. I thought about using it to make the piwo, but my brew day got pushed back, and I ran out of time to brew anything new for the competition. I'll keep that in mind though. I plan on doing the piwo next brew day. Thanks for the info.

So, maybe it'll look different when its finished clearing up, but I finally made that piwo, and it looks ultra pale to me. Is it supposed to be so pale? I only used 7 lbs of oak smoked wheat, and it's about 3%. Everything is to style, except maybe the color. So, is it too light? Or is this normal?
20190310_205420.jpeg

C5E74867-BD49-4125-835B-2D724BC8A7D3.jpeg
28FE42A3-0AF4-461C-9B47-917D7D9B022E.jpeg

The top pic hasn’t lagered yet, the bottom, was described as “brilliant” could just be the concentration... ABV 4ish and 5ish.

@Joewalla88 your picture looks exactly like mine that I made recently. I also thought the color was very pale, not like what others have posted. I’m hoping a little more time will change that. I used a small amount of red wheat too, but still very very pale.

@Joewalla88 your picture looks exactly like mine that I made recently. I also thought the color was very pale, not like what others have posted. I’m hoping a little more time will change that. I used a small amount of red wheat too, but still very very pale.
Thanks, that's good to know.

So, maybe it'll look different when its finished clearing up, but I finally made that piwo, and it looks ultra pale to me. Is it supposed to be so pale? I only used 7 lbs of oak smoked wheat, and it's about 3%. Everything is to style, except maybe the color. So, is it too light? Or is this normal?View attachment 616919
That looks very much like mine before it cleared. It didn't bother me. I just told myself it was on the low end of the color suggestion.

Nearly 100% Weyermann’s oak smoked wheat I use a little acid malt for PH correction, and a small amount of honey malt.

How about your mash times and temperatures - and most important, did you bother with a protein rest and step mash?
I've gotten some brilliantly clear ales that are startlingly lager-like using an extended step mash with generous amounts of wheat, but haven't chanced that nearly 100% wheat beer yet.

How about your mash times and temperatures - and most important, did you bother with a protein rest and step mash?
I've gotten some brilliantly clear ales that are startlingly lager-like using an extended step mash with generous amounts of wheat, but haven't chanced that nearly 100% wheat beer yet.
I did a 90 minute mash, but no protein rest. I think its more of a yeast floccing thing right now, because it tastes a little more yeasty than it probably should. I'll just let it sit in the fridge a while and check back later.

Back