pitching yeast in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic7041

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian ale on the 4th of this month and had good bubbling in my blow-off . OG was 1.070 and after 11 days in the primary my gravity was at 1.020 . I was wondering what everyone thought about me pitching yeast and adding candi sugar to the secondary and let it sit there for 3-4 weeks , whats your take i would like this beer to be pretty strong . the extract kit did not have any gravities on it so i don't know thanks medic7041

Pitching more yeast is most likely a waste. There is still plenty in your beer to finish off the job. As for adding the candi sugar, go for it. Lots of beer have more sugars added later on in fermentation (especially Belgians). It should also help to get the yeast going again and dry out your beer some

i put it in today but held off on anything the yeast was liquid to start so i did it by the book with that i just thought the gravity was a little weak it tastes and smells good but want the abv higher . I did brewers best ipa a few weeks ago with the same numbers which was good but the abv didn't seem that high so u tell me thanks medic7041

I also just did the brewers best IPA and thought the abv was lower than I was expecting. Sorry for the potential threadjack but have you used other BB kits? I'm just wondering because it seems to me that the BB kits i've brewed all taste very similar and am wondering if it's something on my end or just a fact because they use similar dry yeasts and extracts.
btw I've brewed BB kits for a stout, bock, altbier and IPA with only the altbier being clost to what I thought it should have been, both taste and abv.

i've done brewers best kits but I use liquid yeast instead of the dry just think it works better . Try that and see if the yeast changes things

i think the candy or addition of sugar will do the trick...i added mine at flameout though.
it'll prolly be in the 2nd awhile anyhow so it seems like its a good idea.Joe,(not an expert)

Back