Pitching Safale-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie3

Reaction score
My LHBS recently started carrying Safale-05 brand of yeast.

I've started making a few kits that calls for Safale-05 and I have a few questions about the yeast.

1) Some recipes state to keep the primary below 20 C, however on the yeast packet it clearly states to ferment at 21-24 C. I've had some problems in the past fermenting at temperatures below 20 C.

2) When pitching the yeast should I pre-mix it with warm water and let it sit for 15-30 min? Or should I simply spread it on top of the wort similar to making wine?

much thanks.

They give alternate instructions for rehydrating or just dry pitching. I've always gone with the latter and had good luck.

i guess one of the reasons i asked is because recently i made both the Amarillio IPA, and Dogfish head IPA, and fermented at the recommended temperature as per the recipe, however they both took extremely long to ferment (3-4 weeks). and the DFH IPA has literally no activity anymore after 2 weeks in the primary.

i'm wondering if its due to the fact that i am fermenting too low (even though the recipe says ~63 F)

Ive done both with no difference. Rehydrated and just sprinkled onto wort.

i guess one of the reasons i asked is because recently i made both the Amarillio IPA, and Dogfish head IPA, and fermented at the recommended temperature as per the recipe, however they both took extremely long to ferment (3-4 weeks). and the DFH IPA has literally no activity anymore after 2 weeks in the primary.
i'm wondering if its due to the fact that i am fermenting too low (even though the recipe says ~63 F)

This means nothing, what is the SG?

Is 63 the beer temp? Or is 63 the air temp? That makes a difference by about 5F.

I rarely have a beer ferment past 7-10 days actively, visibly, so I wouldnt really expect to see anything at 2 weeks. You are plenty warm enough with the S-05 at 63-68F

This means nothing, what is the SG?

Is 63 the beer temp? Or is 63 the air temp? That makes a difference by about 5F.

I rarely have a beer ferment past 7-10 days actively, visibly, so I wouldnt really expect to see anything at 2 weeks. You are plenty warm enough with the S-05 at 63-68F

The air temp is 17 C.

The SG is really high 1.05, and i've measured it a week later and no change, which leads me to believe the beer has stopped fermenting, or the yeast is dead.

I ferment @ 18-19 and after it's done let it rise to 20-21 or so. Have not notice a lot of difference with rehydration vs dry, but I do rehydrate and stopped adding Oxygen with 05. As I recall my dry pitching was with added Oxygen.

Back