Pitching rate: 4 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixelhussar

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I've been making starters for liquid yeast for years. To be honest I never pitched liquid yeast without starter before. But I'm getting lazy, so I have few question.

Why does lager beer need higher pitching rate? OK, it ferments at colder temp. But didn't the lager yeast cells get used to colder temps?

Why are liquid yeast manufacturers so evil and why don't they sell the number of cells we need? Why don't dry yeast manufacturers do the same?

Could you please point me to any documented experimentations on this topic? Pitching rate vs. flavour.

Have you already tried 1 vial/pack pro (correction 5 gallons) gallon, as it's recommended by MFG? Also with lager? How was the taste?

Thanks.

Im sure there are smarter people out there but Ill try to answer what I know.

1) I believe the higher pitch rate is in lagers are to suppress the amount of esters and phenolic and fusels during fermentation. in short having less amount of yeast in an ale would give you different flavors same goes with lager yeast. Since the temp is much colder you need more yeast to suppress the flavors casue they are working at a slower rate. Good experiment if you have the time try not making a starter and see if you like the flavors you get.

2. I think its all about business! I think it has to do with packaging how much they can financially get their product out and make money without costing so much in packaging. That's what I think.

3. good question I don't know.

4. Not sure if I understand this question. I haven't read the instructions on a vial or smack that suggests 1 pack per gallon. Over pitching and under pitching would give you all sorts of flavors im sure there are some chatter about under and over pitching and how they impact flavor.

1) You need a yeast starter for lagers to reduce the ester profile. A higher pitch rate means lower ester profile.

2)Wyeast packs and White labs vials are good for 5 gallons of ale (unless high gravity = anything above 1.065, generally speaking). I can't say I've ever done a starter for anything less than 1.065 and have never had any issues. Dry yeast is the same, one pack for 5 gallons...

3)Visit Wyeast and White labs website, they will have adequate information...consider this the gospel as their speciality is after all, producing yeast...

4) 1 vial/pack per gallon is excessive, I would recommend going back and checking the source of your information...

Hope this helps and happy brewing....

Back