pitching onto a crash cooled yeastcake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borrachio

Reaction score
So I want to pitch onto the yeast cake from my current batch of kölsch after I crash cool it for a week. Is that possible? Should I slowly raise the temp befoe racking fresh wort onto it?

We do it all the time. The cake will warm up as the new wort mixes with it. No worries. The yeast is fine. If you have lots of trub you may want to look into yeast washing first.

Yes. In order to avoid "shocking" the yeast try to bring your wort and yeast cake to with in 10* F of each other (70-80*F is acceptable). Also, I would only suggest doing this once. Next time you should think about loosing part of that yeast cake. Over pitching can be just as bad as under pitching. Pitching rates can have an adverse affect on flavor. To many cells can throw off the flavor of your finished product and mask the flavor of your malt and hops. I am currently reading "YEAST: The practical guide to beer fermentation" by White & Zainasheff. Its kind of "text bookish" but if you're interested you'll like it. Just a suggestion.

MalFet said:
Well, it will make beer, but there are a lot of reasons not to pitch on your yeast cake. It will be wildly overpitching, pretty much no matter what.

See this thread for info:
Why not to pitch on your yeast cake

Well, that was the perfect answer. Thank you so much, MalFet. The microbiologist in me sees what you're saying. In the end it comes down to understanding that this beautiful hobby of ours is both science and art.

Back