Pitching Extra Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbathearkie

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm a newcomer to this forum, and it looks like a lot of fun. I have a question for you. If the FG is a little too high after the fermentation has stopped, can I pitch a little more yeast in order to get the desired result, or am I stuck with a little weaker batch than I wanted?

Thanks,
Bubba

Welcome! You would do better to post this question in the Beginner's section, but let me give it a crack.

You probably do not have to pitch additional yeast. Rather, just rouse your yeast by giving your fermenter some gentle rocking or by stirring it up with a sanitary racking cane.

TL

Yo TL,

Thanks for the heads-up on where to best post this question. It is my first try at your group, and I really appreciate you not blowing me off. I'll try to do it right next time. I didn't realize that you might be able to wake those little yeast guys up after they had sunk to the bottom. I should have realized that it is possible after reading an article on re-using your yeast a time or two. I am having a great time brewing my own stuff, and I am encouraged by the old saying, "There is no such thing as a bad batch of beer. Some are just better than others."

Thanks again for your help.

your Brewbuddy,
Bubba

Welcome Bubba! We might be able to give you some more direction if you could give us a bit more information. What was your recipe and method? Yeast type, and fermentation temp? Has your temp stayed constant?

This is a great group here! I have learned more than I would have thought since starting to read this. Now I'm kind of addicted!

Hi, bubba

You still almost certainly have live yeast in your fermenter. If stirring them up doesn't get you where you wanted to end up, I would consider racking to a secondary and adding some dry malt extract or some other sugar (whatever best fits the style -- boiled and cooled, of course) and wake your yeasties back up for a secondary fermentation. In a couple of weeks you should have your desired gravity

cheers

Back