Pitching dregs into secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has had success in pitching the dregs from various sours, lambics, wild ales, etc into secondary. I'm thinking about pitching some into a dark saison that's about 7%abv. Would this impart any sour flavors and introduce wild yeasts, or would the primary yeast be too strong at this point?

I was thinking about adding some commercial brett at the same time, and I'm curious if that would also be too strong for the dregs.

I'm curious if anyone has had success in pitching the dregs from various sours, lambics, wild ales, etc into secondary. I'm thinking about pitching some into a dark saison that's about 7%abv. Would this impart any sour flavors and introduce wild yeasts, or would the primary yeast be too strong at this point?

I was thinking about adding some commercial brett at the same time, and I'm curious if that would also be too strong for the dregs.

Pitching dregs has been done a lot with hit or miss results. The problem with dregs is since they are from the bottom of a bottle that contains alcohol and has likely been at room temp/cellar temp for an extended period at some point, a lot of the organisms may be no longer viable, and it is difficult to tell what is or is not viable. Basically, it can be inconsistent. This is the primary reason I began isolating a lot of the the brett and bacteria out of lambics, so I could grow up my own pure, high viability cultures.

Give it a try though. It could end up really good!

Good luck!

it's very common practice, it'll definitely impart bacteria & brett if they're in there. the brett will be noticeable first, but even at 7% you should get a slow build of sourness. here's a list of some good bottle dregs: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html

I have pitched some Orval dregs (straight from bottle) into one of four secondary demijohns of my 'Belgian Special' (8.5 ABV using Whitelabs WLP550), and can't see any activity in the airlock. I also have a bottle of 3 Fonteinen oude geuze and was going to pitch the dregs into another DJ. Should I bother seeing as it looks like fermentation has ceased? I was thinking of boiling up some DME to get it going again. Both bottles are less that a year old.

I have pitched some Orval dregs (straight from bottle) into one of four secondary demijohns of my 'Belgian Special' (8.5 ABV using Whitelabs WLP550), and can't see any activity in the airlock. I also have a bottle of 3 Fonteinen oude geuze and was going to pitch the dregs into another DJ. Should I bother seeing as it looks like fermentation has ceased? I was thinking of boiling up some DME to get it going again. Both bottles are less that a year old.

you will not see airlock activity from brett/sour microbes in secondary. you should not be watching the airlock as indication of activity in general, but with sours its very low CO2 formation so you'll only get a blip here in there. generally a pellicle formation is a good indicator, but thats only really proof that there is oxygen exposure to the brett/bacteria. trust me, the orval dregs are at work, no need for more DME. give it at least 6 weeks before checking on it. 6 months if you do the 3F dregs

The 3 sours Ive made to date were all just me dumping in dregs from beers as I drank them. I probably added 6 or 7 over the course of a few days. It soured very quickly from what I read. After 2 months, it was more sour than any of the beers I put in it. Gave it 2 more weeks and bottled it in heavy bottles

thanks for the quick reply guys! I have dumped Orval dregs into one DJ, 3F in another, some of my Saison dregs (WLP565) into another (not sure why, was drunk), leaving one plain.

How long should it take to get some sourness when pitching dregs? I pitched one Orval into one demijohn and one 3 Fonteinen oude geuze into another 2 months ago. There has been slow airlock activity (orval has stopped, the other still going with pellicle) yet there is no sourness. My orval dreg reading was 1.008 last reading, may bottle soon. Should I try dumping some more into the 3F or just be more patient? I am asking as I am considering souring my blackberry Belgian dark strong which is in secondary.

Let it sit a year or until it's around 1.002 or the gravity is stable over two months. Check out the Wild Brewing section.

It will take about a year. Maybe more.

Orval dregs will not produce sour, but more 'rustic' flavors, and will continue to increase in complexity for a couple of years.

How long should it take to get some sourness when pitching dregs? I pitched one Orval into one demijohn and one 3 Fonteinen oude geuze into another 2 months ago. There has been slow airlock activity (orval has stopped, the other still going with pellicle) yet there is no sourness. My orval dreg reading was 1.008 last reading, may bottle soon. Should I try dumping some more into the 3F or just be more patient? I am asking as I am considering souring my blackberry Belgian dark strong which is in secondary.

If you pitch multiplen dregs into the fermentor, ive found the microbe diversity gets things rolling much quicker. Ive never sat on one of my sours for more than 3 months.

It also helps to build up the dregs into a small sour starter and pitching that as opposed to just adding the tiny bit from teh bottle

thanks for the quick reply guys! I have dumped Orval dregs into one DJ, 3F in another, some of my Saison dregs (WLP565) into another (not sure why, was drunk), leaving one plain.

Two years after I posted on this thread and the Mrs has ordered me to bottle the two DJs that have been sitting in the dining/conditioning room. To be honest, I have been lazy and I am too scared to bottle, this is my first time souring beer. My questions are: how do I get the pellicle to drop (looks pretty 'chalky' now) as I'd rather not bottle the jubby stuff; and is it even ok to bottle? Even though I have a second siphon, should I quarantine it and the DJs from my other equipment? Images attached.

Cheers!

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

Just rack to bottling bucket as normal. Most of the pellicle will be left behind.

Add some fresh yeast for bottling. If you have a little slurry from a recent batch, you could use that, or half a pack of Champagne yeast.

Just rack to bottling bucket as normal. Most of the pellicle will be left behind.

Add some fresh yeast for bottling. If you have a little slurry from a recent batch, you could use that, or half a pack of Champagne yeast.

Ah, ok. Is that half a yeast packet per demijohn or between the two? Should I prime with sugar as well?

Latest posts

Back