Pitching beer onto wine yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaylakejr

Reaction score
Has anyone every pitched a beer onto a wine yeast cake? If so with what success? I had the Dogfish head 61 beer which is an IPA brewed with grape must. It is pretty good and since I have a wine about to go into a secondary I am interested in experimenting a little bit. What do you guys think? Is this idea absolutely retarded?:drunk:

Beats the heck outta me. I'd want to try it with a small batch (like a gallon) first so as not to waste a whole 5 gallons of ingredients and the labor that goes with it just to find out that it tastes awful (which would be my guess).

I have read that wine yeast will not consume maltose. If it doesn't work,and you decide to pitch ale yeast to salvage the wort the wine yeast will kill the ale yeast. Good luck and let us know if you have success.
Cheer's

Adding wine must to your wort is very different from using wine yeast to ferment a beer. Likely the most simple sugars will ferment and you will have to use an ale yeast to consume the more complex sugars. Why not simply add some canned wine must to your wort after boiling and cooling? Then if you want to use a wine yeast, pitch with a mixture of a good clean ale yeast and a dry wine yeast--though I'd probably just use a good high gravity ale yeast myself.

Adding wine must to your wort is very different from using wine yeast to ferment a beer. Likely the most simple sugars will ferment and you will have to use an ale yeast to consume the more complex sugars. Why not simply add some canned wine must to your wort after boiling and cooling? Then if you want to use a wine yeast, pitch with a mixture of a good clean ale yeast and a dry wine yeast--though I'd probably just use a good high gravity ale yeast myself.

I like this idea, maybe I'll give this a shot. Thanks!:mug:

My understanding is the wine yeast will kill the ale yeast, I guess you could add the wine yeast at end?

after doing a little research on DFH 61 they said they brew their 60min IPA and start fermentation, once the fermentation is most active and you have maximum krausen they add the must. So my assumption is that they do not use wine yeast at all it is simply a must addition that gives it its wine like flavor. It seriously tastes like the 60 minute with a shot of red wine in it.

Back